Es gibt/gibt es.. (nominative, accusative?)

< Previous | Next >

venkatkk

Tamil
Auf nur sechs Quadratmetern gibt es italienischen Kaffee, ukrainische Süßspeisen - und auch eine winzige Bank zum Hinsetzen.

In the above sentence I presume „italienischen Kaffee“ is in akkusativ. I remember seeing nominativ used usually with es gibt...constructions. Am wondering if this is correct and if I am mistaken.

• JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    "es gibt" requires the accusative case because it is grammatically a direct object.

Nominative is wrong.

Last edited:

Hutschi

Hi Tamil,
    I fully agree to Claude in #2. "Es gibt" requires an accusative object.

I have just a question. Do you have any example were you found "Es gibt"+nominative?
    I think it was in reality accusative but you thought that it was nominative. If you have an example we can help to clarify.

venkatkk

Tamil
    Hi
    Thanks for your replies jclaudek and hutschi..I guess I must have been mistaken..I was positive that I read sentences which used “es gibt ein..” with masculine nouns..I think I must have mistook the neuter noun for masculine I guess. I just ran a search on the book I am reading now for “es gibt” and there was one sentence “aber es gibt einen grund..” which confirms what you’ve said..so sorry it’s my bad on this one..

P.S Hutschi..you can call me Venkat (which is my name) tamil is actually my mother tongue..Tamilnadu being the state I come from..being called tamil feels like someone saying hey Mexican or hey gringo (used for americans) in the old sphagetti westerns :p..just sounds slightly weird..thanks for the reply..seems like I could have checked a bit more before posting the question on this..sorry for the trouble..you guys are great as always:thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >