escape/hide from the beast

< Previous | Next >

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
By accident, he released an evil spirit from the underworld into Earthsea. This dark devil began hunting Ged and wanted to kill him, and Ged ran away to escape/hide from the beast.

For me, it's likely that both "escape" and "hide" fits here, but I need more comments. Thanks.

• jdenson

USA / English
    By accident, he released an evil spirit from the underworld into Earthsea. This dark devil began hunting Ged and wanted to kill him, and Ged ran away to escape/hide from the beast.

For me, it's likely that both "escape" and "hide" fits fit here, but I need more comments. Thanks.
    I vote for "escape".
    JD

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)

For me, it's likely that both "escape" and "hide" fits here, but I need more comments. Thanks.
    I think when you use the verb "hide", you are normally already somewhere safe.
    --He's hiding in the cave.
    So it's sort of odd to say you ".....ran away to hide from ......."

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    I copy them from WR dictionary (you should be able to get a better idea this way)

4 hide, hide out
    be or go into hiding; keep out of sight, as for protection and safety; "Probably his horse would be close to where he was hiding"; "She is hiding out in a cabin in Montana"

5 run, scarper, turn tail, lam, run away, hightail it, bunk, head for the hills, take to the woods, escape, fly the coop, break away
    flee; take to one's heels; cut and run; "If you see this man, run!"; "The burglars escaped before the police showed up"

Harry Batt

USA English
    " . . . ran away to hide and escape from the beast." Both hide and escape belong in that context. It is presumed that you will escape if you can hide first. "hide and thus escape' would make the presumption explicit while leaving out thus makes it implicit.

To me it seems like a factual question about the novel, not an English language related one. Ged escapes AND kind of hides away (on the wizards' island Roke) and then, eventually, starts pursuing the Shadow himself. We never actually learn whether it wants to, strictly speaking, kill him, and it's not really a devil.

< Previous | Next >