escapist froth

< Previous | Next >

andziik

Poland, Polish
Hello!
Could you please tell me what does it mean "escapist froth"? Here's the sentence in which this expression appears: "Except for those who insist that films should only be escapist froth, most of us go to the movies expecting a degree of unpleasantness."
Thanks in advance

• JamesM

An "escapist" is someone who wants to escape to an unrealistic world, usually a happy one. The word is usually used in a pejorative sense. "froth" is foam and is used when referring to art works as something unsubstantial and devoid of content.

Arrius

English, UK
    Froth is the white bubbles that float, for instance, on the surface of a glass of beer, quite welcome on the continent but much disliked by Englishmen if occupying an excessive portion of the glass, who may rebuke the barman for giving them less beer than they paid for. Thus it means something pretty useless. Escapist you probably know, in fact it might well be similar in Polish, but just in case let me say that it describes something that helps us to forget our daily troubles and boring routines.

hariboo

UK, English
    from the sentence that it is used, i would think that the use of 'escapist froth' in this sentence is describing people who think that a films purpose is to distract the viewer, not to challenge them intellectually or to make them think about the films meaning/plot etc.

The fact that it goes on to say that 'most of us go to the movies expecting a degree of unpleasantness' highlights the fact that people who think that movies are 'escapist froth' expect movies that are unrealistic and idealised i.e film that have happy endings etc.

That's a difficult one, but i hope i've been some help! :)

andziik

Poland, Polish
    I knew the meaning of "escapist" and of "froth" but just didn't see what it could mean together:) But I think hariboo's answer fits well the whole text.
    Thanks!!

< Previous | Next >