escluso da asporto

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Wordspin18, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Wordspin18 Senior Member

Italian
    Good afternoon to everyone!

In the middle of a page of a menu in a restaurant there is a box: "Kids' Menu" (in Italian, the translation is mine).
    At the end it says: ESCLUSO DA ASPORTO. In 3 words, which comes in handy, for there is little room for a text.

How could it be rendered in equally clear - incisive - and succinct English?
    No take-away?
    Non take-away?
    Is the hyphen a must?

Many thanks in advance!

2. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Take away is more BE and take out is more AE. I have seen take away, takeaway, take-away, take out, takeout and take-out. The hyphen is not a must, I'd say.
    No take away.
    No take away available.
    Not for take away.
    (I believe there is no apostrophe in kids menu. ;))

3. Wordspin18 Senior Member

Italian
    Thank you very much. Those are things a European likes to know.

If I am not mistaken, the hyphen is loosing ground worldwide.
    I found the apostrophe while googling and it is in line with was taught during the BE classes I had long ago, when our superheroes were Batman, Superman and Spiderman (I do not know the one in your avatar :)).

4. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Captain Canuck at your service (a very Canadian super hero; in my case surrounded my the Qubec fleur-de-lis) there is no apostrophe because, in my understanding, the menu doesn't belong to kids but kids is used as an adjective. Although I see here that both are acceptable.

5. Wordspin18 Senior Member

Italian
    Thank you very much for the link. Could be that through the years, as kids menus became a common thing, there was a shift in the understanding of the grammatical function of kids?

Talking about fish and Canada I'd love to see salmons, living salmons that is, jumping upstream. Sorry for being so ignorant: any salmons in the Quebec part of the country?

Must do research on Captain Canuck, also because then next time I'll have something serious to talk about when meeting a Canadian :).

6. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Sorry but talk of salmon (always singular in this context) in Quebec waters kind of OT (off topic) and moderators wouldn't look kindly at it. .:cool:

7. Wordspin18 Senior Member

Italian
    Yeah, had a slight hunch of that (just a tiny tiny one).
    Throughout my life I have learned an awful lot precisely by being OT - by birth I am afraid - and not only English.
    But I do intend to toe the line, so help me .. I forgot we're not in court.

There are a few more questions I have, but if I counted correctly I am just one short of the daily maximum of 5 threads posted indicated in the guidelines.
    So that me be tomorrow for me and tomorrow early morning for you - here we live 6 hours later than you do.