especialista en/de

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Billitto2, Feb 16, 2010.

  1. Billitto2 New Member

    English - USA
    I am trying to translate -
    "I am a product specialist for XYZ Inc."
    Which is correct or more appropriate?
    "Soy un Especialista en Productos de la compañía XYZ."

    "Soy un Especialista de Productos de la compañía XYZ."
    Thanks in advance for anyones help.

  2. XiaoRoel

    XiaoRoel Senior Member

    Vigo (Galiza)
    galego, español
    En productos.
  3. Billitto2 New Member

    English - USA
    Thank you for the quick reply. How inappropriate is "de"; I have some printed material using "de", should I have it reprinted.
  4. tatis Senior Member

    Spanish, México
    This is an old thread, but I have the same question.
    Also, is there a reliable source which indicates that "especialista de" is incorrect?
    Thank you.
  5. blasita

    blasita Senior Member

    Spain. Left more than two years ago
    We usually use EN after especialista in, for example, un especialista en educación infantil; en neurocirugía. In a field, area, subject.

    But especialista DE is also correct. For example, un especialista de pulmón y corazón (a lung and heart specialist). It can be used when you define the kind of specialist; it introduces the speciality.

    So, both prepositions are fine; it depends on context.

    Besides, especialista en (not de) can be used in, for example: eres un especialista (=muy hábil, un experto) en meterte en líos (expert at getting into trouble).

  6. tatis Senior Member

    Spanish, México
    Thank you.
    I used EN for what I needed it: Child Abuse Specialist
    Context: Social Work
    Especialista en (casos de) abuso infantil
    No agregué "casos de". Espero que se sobrentienda.
  7. blasita

    blasita Senior Member

    Spain. Left more than two years ago
    Sí, en seguro. Yo creo que en contexto valdría sin 'casos de', sí.
  8. Bill Osler

    Bill Osler Senior Member

    North Carolina, USA
    English, USA
    I realize that this is an old thread but it poses almost exactly the same question I have so I am hesitant to start a new one. I'm not confident that I understand this answer. It seems to me that "un especialista en educación infantil" and "un especialista de pulmón" both define equally well the kind of specialist in question.
    I have seen labels like "especialista en nefrología" or "especialista en enfermedades infecciosas" (should that be "en las enfermedades infecciosas"?) but I have also seen labels like "especialista del corazón" and "especialista del hígado".
    Assuming that all of these examples are correct, the best sense I can make of them is that one says "un especialista en algo" when "algo" is not necessarily concrete, like a topic or an area of study. On the other hand, one would say "un especialista de algo" when "algo" is something concrete like "el hígado" or "el corazón". If I am correct then I guess that while one could be "un especialista del corazón" it would be better to use "en" in these cases: "un especialista en las enfermedades del corazón" or "un especialista en la cirugía del corazón".
    Am I drawing the correct distinction or is there something else differentiating these uses?
  9. blasita

    blasita Senior Member

    Spain. Left more than two years ago
    Hello again, Bill.

    I've asked the Fundéu about it (por cierto, gracias a la Fundéu por contestar siempre). They've told me it should be: (médico) especialista en (pulmón y corazón, etc.). This is the reason they give me:
    I'd take their advice and use en.

    Now my opinion. I agree that en is fine but I don't see why we can't use de in some contexts as well. María Moliner (DUE) seems to agree with me:
    To sum up, en is supposed to be always all right. But personally I can also use de depending on context.

    I'd never thought about all this before. It's very interesting. Let's see what others say.
  10. Bill Osler

    Bill Osler Senior Member

    North Carolina, USA
    English, USA
    Muchas gracias, blasita. Nunca pensé que Ud. tuviera que investigar tanto para encontrar la respuesta.
    Le agradezco la información y su esfuerzos.
    Si esta es una regla, me sorprende que la RAE incluya más detalle en el Diccionario del estudiante de lo que incluya en el Diccionario de la lengua española y además que no diga nada sobre esto el Diccionario panhispánico de dudas.
    Bueno, mis quejas sobre las faltas de los diccionarios no tienen nada que ver con este hilo. Ya tengo una respuesta clara.
    Muchas gracias.
  11. Rondivu Senior Member

    "Un especialista en nefrología" is someone who specializes in the kidney care, whereas " Un especialista de nefrología" is someone who works in the nephrology department.

    He ido al especialista en nefrología (we would say "especialista del riñón" colloquially).
    Ha venido el especialista de nefrología (del departamento de/del servicio de nefrología) a buscar una radiografías que eran urgentes. (Dr X from the nephreology department).

    The same criteria applies to "especialista en/de enfermedades infecciosas" and many other specialities.
    You can say especialista del/en pulmón, corazón, riñón, etc., no ambiguity.
    I think we use both "en" and "de" depending on context, as you say, and to avoid ambiguity.
    I've always said "especialista del corazón", never "en corazón".
    I would never say " especialista de cardiología" but "especialista en cardiología" to refer to a cardiologist in general, for the reasons I explained to Bill above.

    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  12. blasita

    blasita Senior Member

    Spain. Left more than two years ago
    You're very welcome, Bill.
    Hello Rondivu. Actually, I thought about that and was about to include it in my post, but in the end I didn't do it. I think it's a good point.
  13. Bill Osler

    Bill Osler Senior Member

    North Carolina, USA
    English, USA
    Gracias por las aclaraciones. Creo que ya tengo clara la idea.

Share This Page