Essay on Slavery and Abolitionism from Catharine Beecher

Kumi5221

Japanese
A woman may seek the aid of co-operation and combination among her own sex, to assist her in her
appropriate offices of piety, charity, maternal and
domestic duty; but whatever, in any measure, throws a woman into the attitude of a combatant, either for herself or others—whatever binds her in a party conflict—whatever obliges her in any way to exert coercive influences,throws her out of her appropriate sphere. If these general principles are correct, they are entirely opposed to the plan of arraying females in any Abolition movement.

I can't understand what the underlined portion says. It's because the structure of it is unclear to me.

Also I have more some questions: what these general principals refer to and why we can say she argues women should avoid direct political activism.

• Retired-teacher

British English
    It is saying that if a woman becomes involved in a conflict, either directly or supporting others, then she is not doing what it is right for a woman to do.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The underlined is a list of descriptive clauses:

A woman may seek
    (i) the aid of co-operation and combination among her own sex,
    (ii) to assist her in her appropriate offices of piety, charity, maternal and domestic duty; but
    whatever, in any measure
    , -> anything, no matter how large or small,
    (iii) throws a woman into the attitude of a combatant, either for herself or others
    causes a woman to protest on behalf of herself or others
    (iv) whatever binds her in a party conflict -> anything that she believes in when she argues
    (v) —whatever obliges her in any way to exert coercive influences, anything that makes her to try to persuade people [of something]
    throws her out of her appropriate sphere. -> causes her to be thrown out from her proper position in life.

It seems most reasonable... :D

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >