essay teaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • owlman5

English-US
    Have you ever heard the phrase "essay teaching", meaning something like "educational work of teaching how to write essays"?
    No, I haven't. "English composition" is a common term for a class about how to write English.

owlman5

English-US
    How about "composition teaching"?
    That looks possible, but somewhat foreign and odd to me. Why don't you phrase it normally?: I am teaching English composition. When you are teaching English composition, you must...

I see a lot of strange English in here when people try to take some ordinary phrase and turn it into a label. I'm not sure if that is what you are trying to do. If you will provide some context for your phrase, members can give you a good idea of whether that phrase sounds normal in the context you provide. If you provide no context, members can only guess whether the phrase sounds normal or not.

Chigch

Mongolian
    I am helping my friend translate her research plan, which was written in Japanese, into English.

The title I gave for the Japanese title is : "A Study on xxx : From A Point of View of English Essay Teaching for Japanese Learners".

Her research is about how to improve learners' skills of using Japanese conjunctions in English essays.

owlman5

English-US
    Thanks for the context. :)

"A Study on xxx : From A Point of View of English Essay Teaching for Japanese Learners".
    I'm sorry, but this looks awkward and unclear to me. I think you should look for another way to translate that title.

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome. Sometimes "a perspective" can be used instead of something like "from a point of view".

We're not allowed to rewrite people's sentences, but you might think about changing "English essay teaching" into something like "teaching English essays to Japanese learners" or "teaching Japanese learners how to write essays in English."

One thing is sure, Chigch. The title you suggested is no worse than many other awkward titles I have seen in academic literature. :)

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Have you ever heard the phrase "essay teaching", meaning something like "educational work of teaching how to write essays"?
    It would really help if you gave a whole sentence as an example. :thumbsup: (Unless this is a title, in which case, you should say so.)

But, at the moment, No, "essay teaching" does not sound idiomatic. You need to reverse the nouns and use the uncountable version of the noun 'composition': "Teaching composition."

Last edited:

Chigch

Mongolian
    The initial title I gave was actually "XXX: From A Perspective of Improving Writing Skills of Japanese Learners".
    But the words used in this title seemed to have gone too far from those in the original Japanese title, so I quit it, not knowing that it sounded natural or not.

owlman5

English-US
    But the words used in this title seemed to have gone too far from those in the original Japanese title, so I quit it, not knowing that it sounded natural or not.
    This is an important consideration, Chigch.

Having done a few translations myself, I know that accurate translation is difficult. It is especially difficult if you are trying to translate something into a language that is not your native language.

I hope you post any other versions you think of. We have a lot of good writers in here, so they should be able to give you good opinions on your attempts.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The initial title I gave was actually "XXX: From A Perspective of Improving Writing Skills of Japanese Learners".
    "XXX: From A Perspective of Improving Composition Skills in Japanese Learners"
    Or
    "XXX: From A Perspective of Improving the Composition Skills of Japanese Learners"

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think the thread has gone as far as it can without a substantial rewrite of the whole title. Thank you all.

The thread is closed - velisarius, moderator

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >