estás obsesionado con (lo) todo de España

jace24

english
Hi everyone! My question is for all of the native speakers out there. What is the difference between todo and Lo todo?
I know when you add a Lo in front of an adjective it makes the adjective into a concept in which acts like a noun. Ex. Normal versus lo normal. Based on that I would thing that Lo todo is acting similar; however, todo is a noun.
Is it correct to say “ estás obsesionado con todo de España?” Would you use lo todo in this case? If so why?

• Artifacs

Spanish - España
    The main difference is that we don't use the structure «lo + noun», so you won't have to worry about the meaning of «lo todo», which does not make much sense in Spanish.

On the other hand, we do use the definite article «el» with «todo» in the usual way:

El todo es siempre mayor que las partes.

I think your question is about the use of «todo + lo + preposition/relative pronoun»

It is correct to say: Estás obsesionado con todo de España.

But it sounds better to add the «lo» before the preposition «de».

[...] con todo lo de España..

Other examples:

Te digo todo esto para que aprendas español = I'm telling you all this so you can learn Spanish.

You may give more meaning to that «All» using the structure «todo + lo + relative pronoun».

Todo lo que te digo es para que aprendas español. = All I am telling you is for you to learn Spanish.

Take a look at some other posts:

todo/todo que/todo lo que

todo lo que-subjunct

podía hacer todo lo que quería

Last edited:

gengo

American English
    Hi everyone! My question is for all of the native speakers out there. What is the difference between todo and Lo todo?
    I think you have received your answer from Artifacs, but just so you understand Bevj's question to you, this is a translation forum, so we always need to have the source language text, and that text should be the title of the thread (not the target language).

I'm assuming that you are trying to say "You're obsessed with everything about Spain / with all things Spain." But we need to know exactly what you want to say, so that we can give you good replies about the translation.

If you have simply a question about Spanish (no translation), there is the Solo Español forum for that.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    «lo todo», which does not make much sense in Spanish.
    Tienes razón, pero entiendo de dónde viene la pregunta del OP.

Creo que su pregunta surge de la observación que cuando "todo" es OD, es costumbre de reduplicar el OD con un pronombre átono ("lo" en este caso). (Por ejemplo: "Lo sé todo" en lugar de "Sé todo"). Es una excepción a la regla gramatical general sobre la reduplicación del OD (que solo admite la reduplicación del OD con un pronombre átono si el OD tónico aparece delante del verbo o si el OD tónico es un pronombre personal).

Rosamariama

Español peninsular
    Como dice @Peterdg, cuando todo es OD va acompañado de lo. Otro ejemplo:

- "Todo lo que sé es que...", donde esta reduplicación es obligatoria.