established contributory old age and survivor's pension

< Previous | Next >
Hello forum,

The Social Security Act of 1936 established contributory old age and survivor's pension, as well as a joint federal state program of unemployment insurance.

My question:

I can understand the structure "established a state program", but I feel puzzled about "established contributory old age" and "establish survivor's pension" . What is a "contributory old age"?

Many thanks!

• Greyfriar

Hello forum,

The Social Security Act of 1936 established contributory old age and survivor's pension, as well as a joint federal state program of unemployment insurance.

My question:

I can understand the structure "established a state program", but I feel puzzled about "established contributory old age" and "establish survivor's pension" . What is a "contributory old age"?

Many thanks!
    Hello,

A contributary old age pension is one which has to be paid into while the person is working. When the person retires they receive a pension based on the number of monetary contributions they have paid.

We don't have a survivors' pension in the UK. Perhaps it is an American pension for war veterans.

Myridon

English - US
    Survivors refers family members who continue to live after your death. If you are receiving a pension and die, your survivors may be eligible to continue receiving benefits which would then be a survivors' pension.

< Previous | Next >