establishing its falseness

< Previous | Next >

The Lord of Gluttony

Turkish
I have encountered a very interesting sentence:
"An individual recalls a memory, but there is some deficit after recall that interferes with the person establishing its falseness."
Source: A Wikipedia article about "Confabulation", Link

The word "deficit" in the sentence above refers to the patient suffering from confabulation, right? :)
If so, the patient of confabulation is the person who regards false information in memory as true, right?
If so, how can the patient establish "its" falseness? To my understanding, the patient establishes its truth(the state of being true/real), not falseness. The sentence below makes more sense than the sentence in the original article:

"An individual recalls a memory, but there is some deficit after recall that interferes with the person establishing its truth/trueness."
The way I see "Strategic retrieval account theory":
There is an individual.
This individual recalls a memory. (The memory is false. [=did not happen])
There is a deficit/failure/problem with this individual's memory.
This deficit/problem/memory causes the patient to incorrectly believe that an event, which in fact did not happen, happen.
When he believes that the (unreal) event has happened, he establishes the event's truth. He/she does not establish its falseness.

Either the Wikipedia article is erratic, or I am making an error understanding a (relatively) simple explanation. If the problem is with me, where am I making the mistake in understand it correctly?

Many thanks! :)

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    It is not a particularly good sentence, but I believe that Wikipedia is correct.

The patient has a deficit which prevents him or her from seeing that the memory is false
    The patient has a deficit which prevents him or her from seeing the memory's falseness
    The patient has a deficit which interferes with his or her ability to establish its falseness
    The patient has a deficit which interferes with him or her establishing its falseness

I would have stuck with the third version, but I think that what they said still means the same thing.

< Previous | Next >