Spanish to English estancia

Dictionary entry: estancia
  • fenixpollo

Dictionary Editor
    American English
    Hello, Hugie, and welcome to the forum.

Can you please reply to this thread in the box below and explain what you would like us to change? The meaning that you are referring to is already the first one in the Es>En entry for "estancia".

estancia nf(permanencia en lugar)stay n

Hugie

English - Ireland
    Hi. Yes I know that "estancia = a stay" is already there. I was trying to show that the expression "to pay for a night's stay (in a hotel etc.)" is "pagar la estancia de una noche". For an English speaker like myself the Spanish translation wouldn't be that obvious, ie. we'd say something like: "pagar para una estancia de una noche". Maybe that's correct too?

fenixpollo

Dictionary Editor
    American English
    Yes, that's probably correct, too, or at least understandable. I think we're discussing the prepositions and articles that would be used with estancia, not the meaning of estancia, and those articles and prepositions that could be used in various situations aren't typically included in the dictionary entry for a word with many different applications. However, they would be a good topic for discussion in the Spanish-English Grammar forum. :)

Hugie

English - Ireland
    Many thanks for your reply. My original post was possibly aimed at the phrases that contributors include below the main entries for a word (I haven't done much posting so might not have gone about it the correct way). By the way, I use Wordreference every day (I'm a retired French and German teacher) and it is a fantastic help to me as I am currently trying to learn Spanish. Please keep up the great work, it is very much appreciated!

fenixpollo

Dictionary Editor
    American English
    Thanks!
    My original post was possibly aimed at the phrases that contributors include below the main entries for a word (I haven't done much posting so might not have gone about it the correct way).
    Yes, the "phrases that contributors include below the main entries for a word" are what refer to as "threads" in the forum. If you go to WordReference Forums and click on the Spanish-English Grammar forum, you could click the Post New Thread button and ask the question there. Then your thread would appear on the relevant dictionary entries underneath the translations.