estas mujeres lo sean

< Previous | Next >

andyg101

UK, English
hi, I'm having trouble with this paragraph and the sense of some of the sentences. It's from an article in a mexican magazine. could someone explain the higlighted bits to me, in english or spanish?

La mujer que llegue hasta tu puerta con tantas exigencias, prisa y presiones, no merece la respuesta honesta, tierna y comprometida de tu corazon. No es que la maternidad tenga algo de malo o que estas mujeres lo sean, pero, por lo general, se trata de personas que no saben que quieren en la vida... y eso incluye a ti, mi amor.

there is also a contraction later on that i don't understand DA...?

thanks
Andy

• lauranazario

Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    andyg101 said:
    La mujer que llegue hasta tu puerta con tantas exigencias, prisa y presiones, no merece la respuesta honesta, tierna y comprometida de tu corazon. No es que la maternidad tenga algo de malo o que estas mujeres lo sean, pero, por lo general, se trata de personas que no saben que quieren en la vida... y eso incluye a ti, mi amor.

there is also a contraction later on that i don't understand DA...?

thanks
    Andy
    The woman who comes (knocking on) your door with so many demands, urgency and pressure, does not merit your heart's honest, caring and committed response. It's not that there is anything wrong with maternity, but, usually, we're talking about people who do not know what they want out of life... and that includes you, honey.

"DA" could be the person's 'signature, a verb or something else. I can't really tell if you do not provide the whole sentence. :(

Saludos,
    LN

andyg101

UK, English
    thanks, that explains it better, but I still don't understand the estas mujeres lo sean you seem to have left it out?

The phrase with DA is like this

no se te olvide, el amor maduro no "necesita", sino que DA, comparte sueños, alegrias ....etc

gracias
    Andy

David

Banned
    I believe you wanted a literal translation for the idioms you marked in boldface. Here it is: La mujer que llegue hasta tu puerta con tantas exigencias, prisa y presiones, no merece la respuesta honesta, tierna y comprometida de tu corazon. No es que la maternidad tenga algo de malo o que estas mujeres lo sean, pero, por lo general, se trata de personas que no saben que quieren en la vida... y eso incluye a ti, mi amor.

A woman who arrives at your door with so many demands, such urgency, and such pressure, does not deserve an honest, tender and committed answer. It's not that motherhood is something bad, or that these women are, but in general, this is generally a matter of some people not knowing what they want out of life... and that includes you, my dear.

Sounds like bad advice to me, but I am just the translator here!

andyg101

UK, English
    thanks, david

I wasn't too sure who/what the lo sean bit was actually referring to, but now i read through it again, i can see the writer is referring to the women being bad.

Thanks all

Andy

sanchopanza

USA English
    Mature love doesn't NEED, but rather GIVES. shares dreams, joys . . . .
    (No contraction)
    Also, I believe the meaning is:
    . . . or that these women are bad . . (i.e., not that there's anything wrong with these women per se, just that they don't yet know what they want from life.)
    I don't know if this is a story, or a relationsihp pamphlet. It helps to know the full context (source) because actual maning varies between, for example, a medical guide, an advertisement, and dialogue in a novel (where "bad" can mean "good" etc.)

andyg101

UK, English
    thanks.

it's from a mens magazine i picked up in the airport, an article about what to do if you're girlfriend is being too 'needy'. The magazine is H para hombres diciembre 2004.

Andy

< Previous | Next >