Estonian: värvine

< Previous | Next >
  • halfminded

Estonian, Estonia
    Yup, the word "värvine" really does exist;). It means "värviga koos" and "värviga määrdunud". I have no idea what would be its equivalent in English...painty? (I am only wild-guessing, because I don`t know if there even exists a word like that in English). :eek:

halfminded

Estonian, Estonia
    I can try to give you an example. Let me think a bit...:arrow:

Mees istus värskelt värvitud pingile ja see tegi tema ülikonna värviseks- A man sat on a freshly painted bench and it made his suit värviseks (I still don`t know how it is in English...:( I would think that it would be something like "painty", but I have no idea if this word exists in English)
    Any help?:cool:

liblikas

I would say "covered with/by paint" or "stained with/by paint". This is the meaning -- don´t know, if the painty is possible or no. (My English is not perfect either.)

Could you send the whole sentence? Because it may also occur that there´s been a printing mistake, and the real word has been värviline (as I don´t recall to much using värvine-word in Estonian, except speking of workmen clothes or similar.., värviline is more common)-- meaning colourful--.

Sorry because of my spelling, it was "speaking", what I wanted to write.

Värviline might also be translated as "colored" beside "colorful" (the latter maybe being more kirev in Estonian).

Last edited by a moderator:

Gremrat

United States, English
    Cool.

By the way, for our Estonian speakers - no, there is no such English word as "painty". The closest would be "paint-covered".

halfminded

Estonian, Estonia
    By the way, for our Estonian speakers - no, there is no such English word as "painty". The closest would be "paint-covered".
    But it sure was in the second edition of The Oxford English Reference Dictionary.:confused:

painty adj. (paintier, paintiest)
    of or covered in paint
    2. (of a picture etc.) overcharged with paint

< Previous | Next >