Estonian: would

< Previous | Next >

jonquiliser

Svediż tal-Finlandja
Tere once more ;)

I'd like to know how to form the conditional, and how to translate various uses it has in English.

Would be, would have, would like etc.

Examples:

I would come if they let me stay overnight.
You wouldn't understand it.
He would have said it, had you asked him (/if you had asked him).
We would like to have a house.

Aitäh, everyone!

• halfminded

Estonian, Estonia
    Tere once more ;)

I'd like to know how to form the conditional, and how to translate various uses it has in English.

Would be, would have, would like etc.

Examples:

Aitäh, everyone!

Tere jälle!!!:)

I`ll try my best in explaining this, but as I am not linguist, then...yay!:eek:
    To form conditional you take root of word and add -ks or -ksin/-ksid/-ks/-ksime/-ksite/-ksid.
    For example:
    I would buy ...- ma ostaksin=ma ostaks
    you would buy...- sa ostaksid =sa ostaks
    he/she would buy..- ta ostaks
    we would buy- me ostaksime= me ostaks
    you would buy - te ostaksite= te ostaks
    they would buy- nad ostaksid= nas ostaks

I would buy myself a house in Sevilla if I only had enough money- ma ostaksin endale maja Sevillas, kui mul vaid oleks piisavalt raha.:p

would have...= oleks & ..nud
    He would have said it, had you asked him (your example:D)- ta oleks seda öelnud, kui sa oleksid talt küsinud.
    It seems that there is a conditional in both parts of the sentence (not like in English).

jonquiliser

Svediż tal-Finlandja
    Hope today is a better day for you - headache gone? :)

Thanks for taking the time to explain this, and good thing you're not a linguist, because then I might not have understood you :p (I know nothing about linguistics...!)

So... rääkiksin eesti keelt kui vaid oskaksi (is that right?) :)

halfminded

Estonian, Estonia
    Examples:

About the other examples...:)
    You wouldn't understand it- sa ei saaks sellest aru (to understand= "aru saama"...or "mõistma", but there seems to be a slight difference between them... like in Spanish between "entender" and "comprender")
    We would like to have a house- literally: me sooviksime maja omada ( would like= sooviks (or "meeldiks"..depends of context... I would like him, if...= ta meeldiks mulle, kui...)]

Huh... In Estonian there is a saying "oleks on paha poiss" ( literally - "would is a bad boy") and it is used when someone is talking what he would have all done or do.. to refer that he should keep his both feet on the ground...

halfminded

Estonian, Estonia
    So... rääkiksin eesti keelt kui vaid oskaksi (is that right?) :)
    Almost... räägiksin eesti keelt (or "eesti keeles"), kui vaid oskaksin... Aga sa ju oskad!:) :):) I quess the root of word changes sometimes...umm..maybe even more than sometimes... like "tegema" ("to do")- "ma teeksin" (like "nägema"(to see)- ma näeksin]... "lugema" (to read)- "ma loeksin"... "sõudma" (to row)- "ma sõuaksin"..etc etc... They form some kind of groups though...

EDIT: and my headache won`t go before my exams are over...:D

jonquiliser

Svediż tal-Finlandja
    Great, this was very informative! And funny that expression as well! :p Thanks a lot :D

So exam headache - yeah, that's a tricky sort! Good luck with your exams anyway :)

< Previous | Next >