Estos/Éstos son los fondos

Socal3661

English-USA
In my Spanish class we are learning "pronombres demostrativos" Can someone explain why in the following examples the pronouns are correct /why the adjectives would be incorrect???....

(Estos/Éstos) son los fondos que juntó el centro este mes.

(Éste /Este) es el informe que tienes que leer.

• MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    There is the practice of differentiating, through the stress mark, between demonstrative pronouns functioning as sunstantives (with mark) versus demonstrative pronouns functioning as an adjetives (without mark).

In both your examples, the words in bold are functioning as nouns, not adjectives, and they are the correct option.

Let it be said that the RAE, in its decadence, considers that the stress mark is no longer necessary, so from the latest normative standpoint, the non-bolded words would not be strictly speaking "incorrect'.

But if you were given those options, clearly the idea is for you to realize what function the demonstrative pronouns have, and to choose accordingly.

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    Both are pronouns.
    Pronouns don't have an inherent function in the sentence, they can function as nouns, adjectives, adverbs, conjunctions, etc., depending on the pronoun.
    Demonstrative pronouns in particular, have the characteristic of functioning either as a noun, or as an adjective, depending on the context.
    This is the same as in English, BTW.

This is my rifle. => "this" works as a noun
    This rifle is mine. =>"this" words as an adjective.

And in both cases, "this" is a demonstrative pronoun.

The cub

Spanish
    You'll notice the difference between them because "éste"/ "éstos" replace the structure este+noun/estos+noun:
    Éstos (the ones we are talking about) son los fondos que juntó el centro = Estos fondos son los que juntó el centro
    Éste (the one I'm showing you) es el informe que tienes que leer = Este informe es el que tienes que leer

Socal3661

English-USA
    You'll notice the difference between them because "éste"/ "éstos" replace the structure este+noun/estos+noun:
    Éstos (the ones we are talking about) son los fondos que juntó el centro = Estos fondos son los que juntó el centro
    Éste (the one I'm showing you) es el informe que tienes que leer = Este informe es el que tienes que leer
    Thanks so much!! The way you explained it really helped!! ¡Se me ha encendido la bombilla! :):thumbsup: