Estoy intentando aclararme/aclarar mis ideas/poner las cosas

< Previous | Next >

loureed4

Spanish
Hi all,

I was drawing up an email, and thought about this, which I made up, this expression:

"I am trying to get things together" , meaning: put things in order in my mind.

Could I have drawing up like: "I am trying to figure out the whole thing" instead? , or maybe "I am trying to think things through/over" ?

Thanks in advance!

• James2000

English - South Africa
    "I am trying to get things together" :arrow:, meaning: put things in order in my mind.

Could I have drawn up a sentence like:

"I am trying to figure out the whole thing"
    :tick:instead? , or maybe
    "I am trying to think things through/over"
    :tick:?

The first sentence is correct, but I don't think I'd say that. It sounds like you're collecting physical items. Maybe something like:

I'm trying to get my thoughts together.

donbill

English - American
    Hi all,

I was drawing up an email, and thought about this, which I made up, this expression:

"I am trying to get things together" , meaning: put things in order in my mind.

Could I have drawing up like: "I am trying to figure out the whole thing" instead? , or maybe "I am trying to think things through/over" ?

Thanks in advance!

I'm trying to make sense of all of this, I'm trying to put things in order/into perspective, or, colloquially, I'm trying to get my ducks in a row.

A lot depends on context, and you haven't given very much.

loureed4

Spanish
    Thanks both for the examples, they are great!

I think I didn´t make my point, I mean, I didn´t make myself clear.

What I am trying to say is in this context: Someone asks me to make a decision, a very important one, then, I have to put a lot of things in order in my mind, I have to think and think in order to choose the right thing to do, it is kind of that the guy feels confused about how to make such an important decision. Well, now that I think or rethink about it, I made my point clear, didn´t I?

By the way: I´m trying to get my ducks in a row is quite funny, hehe.

P.S: James, thanks for the corrections about "Could I have drawn it up..."

Thanks again both!

donbill

English - American
    I agree with James2000.

No recuerdo haber oído "I'm trying to get my ducks in a row" aquí en Inglaterra.
    Es bastante común en EE UU. Es posible que sea regional. No soy experto en patos (¿paticultura?;)), pero he visto patitos siguiendo a su mamá, y casi siempre están en una fila bien organizada. Me imagino que la expresión tiene que ver con esa tendencia tan fuertemente arraigada de los ánades.:D

Last edited:

loureed4

Spanish
    donbill,

You speak or write Spanish perfectly! , gee!

As for the ducks, it is no big deal, I mean: My point is to get as much fluent as I can in my speaking, but I don´t "like" learning sayings, it is not that I don´t likde them, just a matter of priorities :)

Thanks for your help/aid/assistance!!

loureed4

Spanish
    Lo hablas perfectamente, al menos lo escribes perfectamente donbill, myabe your mother or father are from Mexico? , sorry, I know that is too personal.

Gracias por tu ayuda!

"I am trying to/need to gather my thoughts" is a common English phrase for this putting thoughts in order in one's mind - or at least collecting them all!

More phrases: "I am trying to figure things out". "I am thinking things through (carefully)" - more general phrases that could be used.

alanla

Try this:
    I was drawing up an email and
    I am/I’m trying to get everything together.

I am trying to figure out the whole thing.
    I am trying to think things over/make sense of everything.
    I´m trying to get all my ducks in a row. [We gringos use that!]
    I’m racking my brains. [devanarse los sesos]

I was drawing up an emailI [sounds funny]
    I was putting together an email

I was starting to write an email
    I am in the process of writing an email

Last edited:

loureed4

Spanish
    Thanks both!

Audreyh1: Your examples are great, I will write them down in order not to forget them, they seem accurate to me. I knew "I am trying to figure things out" but I thought it didn´t apply for/in this context.

alanla: Does that sentence really sound funny? "I was drawing up an email" ?. I mean that I looked the verb "draw up" in my dictionary and it says "redactar" as one of its meanings.

Thnaks alanla for your examples too!! , I really appreciate them!

donbill

English - American
    You 'draw up' a will (un testamento) or a contract. You normally don't draw up a letter; you just write it! All of Alanla's suggestions are excellent. I'd probably say "I'm putting together an email."

Saludos

loureed4

Spanish
    Thanks once more donbill, nobody before had corrected me this, even though I read in my dictionary "redactar" as a translation, and we use here often: "Estoy redactando un email para organizar los gastos del departamento de informática"

Thanks!! :rolleyes:

donbill

English - American
    Thanks once more donbill, nobody before had corrected me this, even though I read in my dictionary "redactar" as a translation, and we use here often: "Estoy redactando un email para organizar los gastos del departamento de informática"

Thanks!! :rolleyes:
    'Redactar' does not translate to English well--at least for me it doesn't. I believe that when we use the term 'redact', we usually mean to edit, to change, to modify, etc. A 'redacted text' usually refers to one that has been changed or that has had parts of it eliminated for one reason or another. And the word is not very common! I can't remember ever using it. We write essays, compositions and letters; we compose poems; we scribble notes to ourselves; we take notes in class; we jot down messages, but we almost never redact.

Saludos

Saludos

loureed4

Spanish
    Gee, that was an awesome reply, for the examples with "compose,scribble,take,jot down..."

So, from now on: "I was writing an email and..." . I know "compose" with music: "Henry Mancini is a great composer" , if I am not mistaken. As for "to take notes in class" it rang a bell to me, it sounded familiar. But neither "scribble" nor "jot down" at all, they are new words for me, so, I thank you double!

Thanks a lot donbill!

Thanks both!

What I am trying to say is in this context: Someone asks me to make a decision, a very important one, then, I have to put a lot of things in order in my mind, I have to think and think in order to choose the right thing to do, it is kind of that the guy feels confused about how to make such an important decision. Well, now that I think or rethink about it, I made my point clear, didn´t I?

I knew "I am trying to figure things out" but I thought it didn´t apply for/in this context.
    "Trying to figure things out" definitely applies in this context. It's a good choice for when someone is confused or overwhelmed, doesn't feel confident about making a good decision at the moment, and a lot more time thinking through the issues from several points of view is required in order to make a good decision.

loureed4

Spanish
    Audreyh1, your explanation is perfect, therefore, I think it is a good choice, a very good one "I am trying to figure things out", and , by the way, not too much complex.

Thanks a lot!:rolleyes:

< Previous | Next >