Etre de la fête, ...: to join the party?

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
I know: the parties are over, but... But while exploring concepts/ words like feast, party, celebration, I was informed about the expression: être de la fête, which I recognized as van de partij zijn in Dutch. Something like: I want to join the party, but not quite the same, I suppose. Do you have a similar expression containing some reference to a company or a party?

Last edited:
  • ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    Just a background note here: I had never associated partij with party, fête, but now I realize there is a link.

Etymological information regarding party:

1. Partij seems to be derived or borrowed/... from French: a group of persons, a party in a conflict, but maybe a part first of all. Afterwards it developed a new meaning like a quantity of goods, etc. Based on Latin partir(e): divide, sparate, etc. Source: etymologiebank.nl. In a sidenote only is there a reference to the meaning "company", which might have led to party(-time), I suppose...
    2. Etymonline.com adds: 'The sense of "a gathering for social pleasure" is found by 1716, from general sense of persons gathered (originally for some specific, temporary purpose, such as dinner party, hunting party).'

Dymn

I was informed about the expression: être de la fête, which I recognized as van de partij zijn in Dutch. Something like: I want to join the party, but not quite the same, I suppose. Do you have a similar expression containing some reference to a company or a party?
    Well, what do these expressions mean? Could you give an example? I'm not quite sure.

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    OK! Let's make it part of a conversation...

A I am throwing a party this evening!
    B Great, ik zal van de partij zijn/ Je serai de la fête.

In English I could imagine: Count me in!/ I'll be there...