Etymology of Persian اقلیم/land, country

• momai

Arabic - Syria
    It is a cognate of English climate/clime and thus ultimately Greek. Actually, this word has only this meaning in MSA, unlike in Persian, apparently.

fdb

French (France)
    Yes, it comes from Greek klima, via Arabic. It is a technical term in Greek geography, which divided the Earth into seven regions, so to say "slices" of the globe.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Thank you.

Armed with this information I checked the etymology of climate & found OP cay (to lean) is a cognate, do we know if that is correct, also if cay has survived into NP in some form?

Source OED:
    It is the hypothetical source of/evidence for its existence is provided by: Sanskrit srayati"leans," sritah "leaning;" Old Persian cay "to lean;" Lithuanian šlyti "to slope," šlieti "to lean;" Latin clinare "to lean, bend," clivus"declivity," inclinare "cause to bend," declinare "bend down, turn aside;" Greek klinein "to cause to slope, slant, incline;" Old Irish cloin "crooked, wrong;" Middle Irish cle, Welsh cledd "left," literally "slanting").

Last edited:

aruniyan

Tamil
    Some possible link.

Kizha in Tamil language means, "Gained ownership" and "Kizhamai" - Assigned to, or Belongs to or deeply attached with.
    Kizhavan/Kizhavi- Old man/woman, Land owner, land lord, Leader

The week days are suffixed with kizhamai.. like thingal kizhamai- Mon day= Belongs/Assigned to moon.

There are English words Clinic(bid ridden-old man), Cling, Cloth, with cli- meaning attached with.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    For its Persian meaning please refer to this which is in Persian I'm afraid.

It means:
    1 - 1/7 of land, 1/3 of earth i.e. the land mass of earth, country
    2- The climatic conditions of an area, basically meteorological conditions.

However I can only find its 'land/country' sense. in old text.
    Example from Saɛdi/سعدی:

آنکه هفت اقلیم عالم را نهاد
    هرکسی را آنچه لایق بود داد.
    One who laid out the seven countries/parts of the world
    Gave everyone what they deserved

Ferdôsi/فردوسی:
    کجا رفت اسکندر نامور
    کزو گشت اقلیم زیر و زبر
    Where did the famous Alexander go
    Whose actions turned the land/country upside down

Last edited:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    2- The climatic conditions of an area, basically meteorological conditions.
    In this definition region/area that the climate affects is still the key element, which makes اقلیم to mean ‘climatic region’ as opposed to ‘climate of a region’.

Persian language programs use تغییرات اقلیمی to refer to (earth’s) climate change.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >