Etymology of Persian خیر/xeyr/xayr "no"

• fredoon

farsi
    I don't completely understand your question, but I guess this could help you.
    خِیر in Farsi means "No", as you pronounced it.
    خَيْر simply means "goodness" in Arabic but in Farsi is common to pronounce خِیر with this meaning!

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Thank you.

I wanted to know whether خیر that is used in Persian with the meaning “no”, is a word of Persian origin. In the link I provided it says “it is possibly from Persian”

desi4life

English
    According to Wiktionary: "From Arabic خَيْر‎ (ḵayr), possibly via Persian خیر‎ (xayr)", is there a more certain answer to this please?

Under the Persian Etymology 2 section, it’s stated to be a “Clipping of نه خیر‎ (na xeyr)”. You seem to have mistakenly looked at the etymology of Urdu خیر which is stated to be "From Arabic خَيْر‎ (ḵayr), possibly via Persian خیر‎ (xayr)".

desi4life

English
    Thank you.

I still don't see in there a meaning for this 'Persian' خیر, in نه خیر or نخیر.

The meaning is stated right below the Etymology 2 section:

Persian

Etymology 1
    From Arabic خَيْر‎ (ḵayr).

Pronunciation
    (Classical Persian): IPA(key): /xajɾ/
    (Dari): IPA(key): /xajɾ/
    (Iranian Persian): IPA(key): /xejɾ/
    (Tajik): IPA(key): /xajɾ/

Noun
    خیر • (xeyr)
    1. good

Etymology 2
    Clipping of نه خیر‎ (na xeyr).

Adverb
    خیر • (xeyr)
    1. (formal) no
    Synonyms: نه‎ (na), (formal) نخیر‎ (na-xeyr), (formal) نه خیر‎ (na-xeyr)

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Many thanks desi4life for taking time on this, I am however sure I am missing a trick here, is the answer staring me in the face but I can't see it?

Etymology 1: I know خیر/xeyr means "good" in Arabic & I am desperately hoping that this is not the same خیر/xeyr in نه خیر.

Etymology 2 I can see that it says خیر‎ is a 'Clipping of نه خیر', but where does it say what خیر itself means? It is obvious the key part of نه خیر in نه/nah "no" so what does خیر mean here, what does it add, is it used in other words?

Also isn't "Clipping of نه خیر" a different way of saying "we don't know"?

Last edited:

desi4life

English
    Many thanks desi4life for taking time on this, I am however sure I am missing a trick here, is the answer staring me in the face but I can't see it?

Yes, I believe so. Under Etymology 2 is “Clipping of نه خیر‎ (na xeyr)”, and below that is the word “Adverb” followed by “خیر (xeyr)” and the definition: “(formal) no”.

Etymology 2
    Clipping of نه خیر‎ (na xeyr).

Adverb
    خیر • (xeyr)
    1. (formal) no

Last edited:

rarabara

Turkish
    hi,
    general & basic overview
    it seems we use a word in Turkish ("Hayır"="no"). But although it is in the conformity with great and little wovel harmony, I am not sufficiently sure whether it was actually and / or originally Turkish word.

we do not use such a word in Kurdish. So, this is likely not a Kurdish word.

I know one word almost as same as it stands on the side of its script in Arabic , but as far as I know that word not an Arabic word also (Or i may be wrong). because it is closer to mean "outside of" phrase or sometimes "except" (Maybe Arabic speakers better explain) but this word probably borrowed from arabic into Turkish and we use it "gayrı"

Last edited:

rarabara

Turkish
    Could the Farsi word be derived (a 'corruption') from Arabic غير (ghayr) meaning ''not / other than''?
    oh,thank you.This word was the word I implied.
    probably this word غير is being at upper side of throat than خير or there should be stronger but more elegant friction in خير
    thank you for reminding. (Note: I confused خير and غير 's pronunciation ,unfortunately these are very different words in Arabic)