Etymology of Persian arus

kamyR

persian
I saw this word in MacKenzie dictionary meaning white and I want to know it's etymology and possible relationship with Arabic عروس.
Thanks in advance.

• fdb

French (France)
    Middle Persian arus, Avestan auruša-, Ossetic урс /urš/ all mean “white”. Cf Sanskrit aruṣa- “bright red”. No connection with Arabic ʻarūs “bridegroom”. No assured cognates outside of Indo-Iranian.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Middle Persian arus, Avestan auruša-, Ossetic урс /urš/ all mean “white”
    I suppose 'arus/white' here refers to the colour of bride's dress (arus means bride in modern Persian), and if so, is the tradition of brides wearing white of Indo-Iranian origin?

Last edited:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    I suppose 'arus/white' here refers to the colour of bride's dress (arus means bride in modern Persian), and if so, is the tradition of brides wearing white of Indo-Iranian origin?

Sorry guys, I have clearly misunderstood this thread’s posts.

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    is the tradition of brides wearing white of Indo-Iranian origin?
    According to Wikipedia, it is not.

Historically, the Ancient Greeks wore white and several regions in Asia (China, India...etc.) wore red. Other than that, the colour was a personal choice for the bride. The modern trend of wearing white was popularised by queen Victoria who wore white at her wedding, setting the trend in England starting from the 1840s, then spreading around the world. No Persian origins mentioned.

Of course, that doesn't mean that very ancient Persians did not wear white, just that if they did, they were not the ones that set the trend. Also, don't forget this note:

Middle Persian arus, Avestan auruša-, Ossetic урс /urš/ all mean “white”. Cf Sanskrit aruṣa- “bright red”.
    This seems to indicate that the cognate of the word means red in the Indian side of Indo-Iranian, so maybe the meaning of the word originally meant 'bright' in the proto-language - both red and white can be bright. Of course, I'm just guessing here.

Mazdak-Bamdad

Persian
    Aroos comes from Old-Assyrian meaning bridegroom (Old Assyrian Dictionary) and has no relationn to Avestan , which refers to white horses with red spots. The white color of bride is from victorian era in Engand

Abaye

Hebrew
    Aroos comes from Old-Assyrian meaning bridegroom (Old Assyrian Dictionary)
    A Hebrew word with similar look and meaning to Arabic, maybe a cognate of عروس (yet different enough not to be, unless borrowed through an agent like Aramaic), is ארוש alef-resh-waw-sin = betroth (post biblical Hebrew ארוס, under Aramaic influence). So an Assyrian word may be related to either the Arabic or Hebrew word (or both).