Etymology of Slavic "foot"

Kurdistanish

Kurdish/Azerbaijani Turkish/Persian
Hi everybody,

I wanted to know abt the etymology of Slavic word for "foot"~"noga", "nog"*, etc. In Northern Kurdish (Kurmanji dialect) there is "nyg" for "foot" besides current "pe"/"pi". Do Slavic "noga" and Kurdish "nyg" share same root?

Thanx

• Athaulf

Croatian/Bosnia, Croatia
    Hi everybody,

I wanted to know abt the etymology of Slavic word for "foot"~"noga", "nog"*, etc.

According to Pokorny, this word comes from the PIE root *onogh-, which originally meant "nail" or "claw" (in fact, English "nail" is apparently its cognate). In Vasmer's Russian etymological dictionary, the entry for noga says "ORIGIN: native [Slavic word], with original meaning 'claw'".

In Northern Kurdish (Kurmanji dialect) there is "nyg" for "foot" besides current "pe"/"pi". Do Slavic "noga" and Kurdish "nyg" share same root?

I have no idea. I'd say it's not highly likely, since the non-Slavic cognates of noga listed in the above dictionaries mostly have meaning along the lines of "nail" or "claw", rather than "foot". However, it is possible, so you'll have to find some authoritative source on Kurdish etymology for a definite answer.

Kurdistanish

Kurdish/Azerbaijani Turkish/Persian
    According to Pokorny, this word comes from the PIE root *onogh-, which originally meant "nail" or "claw" (in fact, English "nail" is apparently its cognate). In Vasmer's Russian etymological dictionary, the entry for noga says "ORIGIN: native [Slavic word], with original meaning 'claw'".

I have no idea. I'd say it's not highly likely, since the non-Slavic cognates of noga listed in the above dictionaries mostly have meaning along the lines of "nail" or "claw", rather than "foot". However, it is possible, so you'll have to find some authoritative source on Kurdish etymology for a definite answer.

Thank you, I'll compare the information to figure it out if Kurdish "nyg" is cognate with Slavic "noga" or not.

Frank06

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)
    Hi,
    Thank you, I'll compare the information to figure it out if Kurdish "nyg" is cognate with Slavic "noga" or not.

Maybe these pages (Indo-Aryan inherited lexicon by Lubotsky) can help a bit too in your search. It doesn't give specific information for Kurdish, but here you find the Proto-Indo-Iranian form and cognates in other II languages. Be sure to change the encoding to 'Utf-8'.

Groetjes,

Frank

Alijsh

Persian - Iran
    What is the Kurdish for "nail"? Slavic "noga" seems to be comparable with the Persian word for "nail" i.e. nâxon (nâkhon). What do you think?

Kanes

Bulgarian
    I'd be very surprised to find even a single one that doesn't have it. See the above link to Vasmer - it lists almost identical sounding cognates of this word in nearly all major Slavic languages.

On Bulgarian legs = kraka

Athaulf

Croatian/Bosnia, Croatia
    On In Bulgarian legs = kraka

Hm... interesting! Vasmer lists Bulgarian нога as "dialectal". Is this word really absent from modern standard Bulgarian? Or does have a different meaning?

By the way, this is an interesting false friend. In Croatian, krak is used for exceptionally long limbs of animals, like e.g. the limbs of an octopus or the back legs of a frog. I've heard it used for human legs only jokingly, when talking about someone with exceptionally long legs.

Kanes

Bulgarian
    If it was there, it is absent now. We have similar one used sometimes in literature though, noze, but you wont hear someone using it when talking.

Clearly the Croation and our word are connected, plus almost the same meaning. For me krak sounds more logical because of the word for hand though. How do you say hand?

Athaulf

Croatian/Bosnia, Croatia
    If it was there, it is absent now. We have similar one used sometimes in literature though, noze, but you wont hear someone using it when talking.

Yes, that's certainly a cognate with noga (I'd guess нозе is plural, though). However, googling for нога on Bulgarian pages, I got quite a few hits (see this search, for example), and I know this word is used in standard Macedonian. Are you sure that нога doesn't exist at least as a dialectal or archaic word in Bulgarian?

Clearly the Croation and our word are connected, plus almost the same meaning. For me krak sounds more logical because of the word for hand though. How do you say hand?
    In Croatian (and other BCS variants) it's ruka. If I'm not mistaken, it should be a cognate with Bulgarian ръка. I don't see how this would make krak "more logical" than noga, though?

Kanes

Bulgarian
    Both are archaic in that case. The couple of results in the search you posted were 'national folk tales' and 'bulgarian poetry'. In contemporary speach or writing they are absent, and noga I have not even heard. Isn't it plural like noze btw? It sounds plural.

Tons of words are formed from the root of raka and krak, simplest example though is: kraka = legs and raka = hand. Thats why seemed more logical then noze, plus there is no singular word for leg related to noze.

Duya

Whatever
    Tons of words are formed from the root of raka and krak, simplest example though is: kraka = legs and raka = hand. Thats why seemed more logical then noze, plus there is no singular word for leg related to noze.

Could you please find a source demonstrating that krak and raka are cognates? I highly doubt it.

dihydrogen monoxide

Slovene, Serbo-Croat
    Raka cognate with Slovene roka comes from PIE *uronkaH, in the end it means to grab.
    Kraka cognate with Slovene krak comes from PIE *(s)ker 'to turn' and is related with Slovene kriv.

Darina

Bulgaria
    "Vasmer lists Bulgarian нога as "dialectal"

It is typical for Western Bulgarian dialects. My grandmother says "noga", but she uses "nogi" for plural, not "noze".

The word is not only dialectal but also archaic, poetic and used at some expresions, for example the military command: "pushki pri noze", meaning "ground arms".

From all this information I can only conclude that Kanes is a young boy from Eastern Bulgaria who has not been a soldier yet. :)

As for the entimology of "крак", I think it can be a shorter version of "крайник".

Last edited:

Palisto

Kurdish
    What is the Kurdish for "nail"? Slavic "noga" seems to be comparable with the Persian word for "nail" i.e. nâxon (nâkhon). What do you think?

PIE*h₃nógʰ(r)o-
    Hittitesankuwais, sankuwai-
    Tocharian Amaku
    Tocharian Bmekwa
    Albanianthua
    Ancient Greekὄνυξ
    Ancient Greek (Herodotus)ónükʰ- {ὄνυξ}
    Greekνύxι
    Greek IPAˈniçi
    Classical Armenianmagil
    Armenian Listełungn
    Armenianyeghung
    Eastern Armenianełung
    Avestasrauuō (pl.)
    Middle Persiannaxun
    Persiannāxun ( ناخُن )
    Tajiknoxun
    Zazaki
    nengū
    Kurdishnînok, neynûk
    Sogdiann’γ’n
    Shughninōxūn
    Sariqolini/ašɛwr
    Kata/Katinʌčĩ
    Kashmirinam
    Vedic Sanskritnaxás
    Urdunɑxʊn
    LahndanaŨh
    Gypsi Gknai
    Punjabi StnahĪ
    Marwarinūṃ
    Biharinah
    Magahinoh ( नोह )
    Assamesenɒx
    Oriyanɔxɔ
    Sin(g)haleseniya
    Old Church Slavonicногъть
    Macedoniannokt
    Croatiannokat
    Serbo-Croatiannokat
    Russiannogotʲ ( ноготь )
    Czechnehet
    Polishpaznokieć
    Old Prussiannagutis
    Latviannags
    Lithuaniannagas
    Old Norsenaglu
    Icelandic Stnögl
    Swedishnagel
    Danishnegl
    Old Englishnægl
    Englishfingernail
    Dutch Listnagel
    Old High Germanclāwa
    GermanFingernagel
    Lëtzebuergeschnol
    Schwyzerdütschnagu
    Gothic*nag-l-s
    Latinungius
    Italianunghia
    Catalanungla
    Spanishuña
    Frenchongle ( ɔ̃gl )
    Provencalongla
    Romanschungla
    Friulianongule
    Rumanianunghie
    Cornishiwin
    Breton Stivin
    Welsh Newin
    Old Irishingen, ingen,
    Irish Bingen
    Gaelic (Scots)ìne

Ben Jamin

Polish
    Hi everybody,

I wanted to know abt the etymology of Slavic word for "foot"~"noga", "nog"*, etc. In Northern Kurdish (Kurmanji dialect) there is "nyg" for "foot" besides current "pe"/"pi". Do Slavic "noga" and Kurdish "nyg" share same root?

Thanx
    I would like to make you aware that "noga" means actually "leg", not "foot". Foot is called "stopa" or "stopalo" in most Slavic languages. When this is said, we should notice that the word "noga" includes the foot, and in colloquial use you may hear (at least in Polish) "I have pain in my legs" while actually the pain is in the feet. The same is valid for other colloquial expressions like "to have shoes on one's legs", in opposition to English usage, which strictly distinguishes between legs and feet. Using an expression like "I put my shoes on my feet" would sound strange and pedantic in Polish. In some fixed expressions, however, like "a land not touched by a human foot" the word foot is always used.