Eu quase que nada não sei. Mas desconfio de muita coisa.

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by disastre, Nov 17, 2008.

1. disastre New Member

AMerican English
    I am not a poet, so I am not sure how to fully communicate the meaning of this phrase in a succinct and poetic way, that is authentic to the original.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2010
  2. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Welcome, Disastre. :)

And thanks for bringing "my" motto. ;) This is from Guimarães Rosa and I think it will be very difficul to convey his wording.

Something like:

I almost don't know anything, but I do suspect/ doubt/distrust a lot of things.

Guimarães,as a good mineiro, made a pun with the verb desconfiar.
    http://www.wordreference.com/pten/desconfiar

3. disastre New Member

AMerican English
    I know that it leaves a great deal of the play of the original behind, but would "I know little, but doubt much" work as a translation?

4. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Yes, for the meaning, perfect! For the nuances, well that is another story for Rosa. ;)

5. Que trem doido Senior Member

E.U.A. English
    Hello disastre! As Vanda said, this comes from Guimarães Rosa, and I think this was said in "Grande Sertão: Veredas".

It is tough to keep the same kind of poetic ring and swagger that Guimarães had in an English version,

“Eu sou é eu mesmo. Diverjo de todo o mundo…
    Eu quase que nada não sei. Mas desconfio de muita coisa.”

I agree with Vanda's translation. But, Vanda, I do have another question. What does "Diverjo" or Divêrjo" mean?? :confused:

6. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    divergir - Discordar, discrepar, dissentir - to disagree
    http://www.wordreference.com/pten/divergir

divêrjo is how he wrote in the original novel when we used to put accents in some words now against the grammar.
    Also the correct conjugation would be: divirjo, but if you'll find a mineiro that conjugates like that, please, introduce him/her to me. :p

7. Que trem doido Senior Member

E.U.A. English
    Uai, Vanda! Aqui ó. Nóis é mineiro uai, mais nóis é chiqui. Conjugar é trem da fala de caipira sô!

he he he he

8. Giorgio Lontano

Giorgio Lontano Senior Member

Nova Guatemala da Assunção.
    Guatemala - Español
    Hi Vanda. I always interpreted the first part the other way around:

There's almost nothing I don't know (about). But I distrust a lot of things.

For me, to say: "I know little" it should read: "Eu quase que não sei nada". But now I'm guessing my being a Spanish native disrupted the way I read it. :eek:

Thank you.
    :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  9. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    It is not your fault, Giorgio. The way Rosa wrote it is misleading. It is not a natural way to say that, it's rosiano's simply. Even a Brazilian has problems - not understanding - but accepting it this way.
    A friend of mine tried to "correct" "my" sentence (he didn't know it then). I said: There is nothing wrong with Rosa's sentence. Don't even dream to modify it!

10. Giorgio Lontano

Giorgio Lontano Senior Member

Nova Guatemala da Assunção.
    Guatemala - Español
    Obrigado Vanda.

Embora, também há outra coisa que me confundiu: o fato de que seja sua assinatura. Não há quase nada que você não saiba. ;)

Valeu!
    :)

11. Heredianista

Heredianista Senior Member

Portland, Maine
    English - USA
    Re:
    &
    I agree with Vanda. That's a lovely and succinct translation that has its own 'punch,' in English, as any translation of this phrase ought to. I like it.

However, as Vanda says, it would be virtually impossible
    * to translate this phrase into English and maintain its multiple simultaneous meanings as well as its style, tone, character, and regional flavor, especially given the poetic complexity of its context.

Excerpt From Source Text (Context)

"toda a minha vida pensei por mim, forro, sou nascido diferente.
    [...] Diverjo de todo o mundo...
    [...] para pensar longe, sou cão mestre -
    o senhor solte em minha frente uma idéia ligeira, e eu rastreio essa por fundo de todos os matos. Amén!"

Literal Meanings

As for its literal meaning only, my first stab at a translation would include these variations:

• I know practically nothing.
    • I know just about nothing.
    • I hardly know a thing.

• But I am dubious about many things.
    • But I doubt much {of what I hear/of what others believe}.
    • But I am suspicious of many things.
    • But there are many things in which I have no confidence.
    • But I distrust most of what others think.
    • But I distrust most of what I encounter.
    • But I distrust much.

Nuances

My first stab at an actual translation might be:

"What I know is next to nothing. But what I doubt is nearly infinite."

Is that better than my earlier attempt (below), or not?

"I hardly know a thing. But I distrust much."

Back to Literal Meanings: Are They Even Discernible?

(Not so much!)

GiorgioIt's interesting that you've always read the first line as "There's almost nothing I don't know (about)." As a (near-native) Spanish-speaker, I never read it that way, but now that you mention it, I can see how you would. Guimarães Rosa's lyricism just gets more and more complex and layered the longer you contemplate it!

Exploring Nuances Further

Also, I love what you wrote about Vanda – and I couldn't agree more:
    Não há quase nada que a Vanda não saiba. Valeu!

And I'd argue that this phrase suits her perfectly for just that reason!

Why?

Because this phrase is part of a larger passage that is really a declaration of originality and distinction, far more than a declaration of humility, let alone ignorance:

Thus, this phrase is perfect for Vanda, as she is uniquely distinctive and has an intelligence all her own. And yet, as illuminated as she is, she is always without pretension. More so than GR, actually — I really doubt I'd ever see her call herself the top dog around here!

Of course, I’m not really talking about Vanda, here (much as I do esteem her, and mean everything I've said). I am, rather, attempting to capture a bit of the elusive and compelling inherent nature of GR's phrase.

This discourse — correlating the text to a personality — simply struck me as an effective means for me to convey how I read the character and core meaning of this quotation. It is an attempt to tease out some of the undertones and implications hidden in Guimarães Rosa's phrase.

But the correlation does dissolve, ultimately (as I hinted above), for I read GR's passage as approaching arrogance and superiority.
    GR may or may not be without pretension... His "Eu quase que nada não sei" does suggest a rather profoundly modest concept of self. Also, the perceptions of being born different and diverging from the rest of humanity might suggest the speaker's awareness of his own flaws or limitations... yet, the rest of the passage seems to strongly imply a profound pride in being different from others — perhaps even far better than they:

"para pensar longe, sou cão mestre..."
    "when it comes to thinking deeply/broadly/on things of great depth and dimension, I am the top dog/alpha male/leader.

He mentions thinking for himself. And he ends the passage in question with "Amen!" which puts a notably positive spin on the whole thing. He appears to love being different. Although it may also be a lonely and disconcerting way to be.

Don't you love these constant and irreducible contradictions?! Brilliant.

Vanda – How am I doing? Do you agree with my analyses?

P.S.
    disastre – someone – please teach me how to be succinct!

______
    *In my humble opinion, that is – but I would love for someone to prove me wrong!

12. almufadado

almufadado Senior Member

Earth
    Português de Portugal
    The way I read it:

The sentence has to be read next to the one that follows, for the first is merely the introduction to the "punch".

Let go opposite :

"Eu quase que nada não sei" -> I almost don't know nothing. (yes .. a double negative) -> I almost do know nothing.
    "Eu quase que tudo não sei" -> I almost don't know everything.

First, he know something, that the what the "quase"("almost") is for. So he has already stepped up in the knowledge ladder.

As oppose to he start bragging that he knows everything there is to know, except one bit or two.

He is being humble !

Also he is stating a fact of live that is : when you thing you have master something a new challenge will suddenly erupt, one that you are not prepared for and in that point you will find yourself "almost full of knowledge except for the things you do not know".

Moreover, you can not know what you don't know yet, until you know what are the things you do not know! :D
    Only then, you know what you did not know before !

Practical Example :

I did not know that the Earth was round.
    Until I will have the knowledge of that "fact", I still think that the world is flat. So I Know everything there is to know : The World is flat !

Now, someone curious enough, that "desconfia de muita coisa" ... "someone that questions a lot of things" ... goes up the highest mountain and finds that the Earth must be round because the horizon now seems round. He found what he did not know previously !

The other person on the bottom of the mountain, still looks at the horizon and find it to be flat. He does not know that he does know ! And he doesn't even suspect that the world can be round.

Moral da história :

The more you think you know, the more the probability you will not learn new things because you give up being inquisitive.

The first rule of knowledge is therefore :
    "I only know that I do know nothing. But I sure have doubts about lots of things. "

And until you find you has said this ... this is Almufadado's nurtured wisdom ! ;) :)

PS : I beg of you: neither "distrust" nor "suspect" ... please ... no .. not them !!!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  13. Heredianista

Portland, Maine
    English - USA
    Almufadado,

"I question" is a great option here, for "desconfio." Nice.

Interesting discourse, too.

Genève

14. anaczz

anaczz Senior Member

À beira do Oceano Atlântico
    Português (Brasil)
    Engraçado, eu sempre entendi esse "desconfiar", nessa frase, não no sentido de não ter confiança, de duvidar, mas de "fazer uma ideia" , "suspeitar" como são as coisas.
    Como se ele dissesse que não foi ensinado, é rotulado como ignorante e, no entanto, "pensa por si mesmo" e vai descobrindo como são as coisas, suspeita que sabe como elas são pois é capaz de "pensar longe".

15. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Aninha, com Rosa você pode e deve desconfiar de tudo: 1o. ele é Rosa, 2o. é mineiro! Conhece aquele ditado de que mineiro é desconfiado?! Pois é: desconfiamos de tudo!
    Ser mineiro...

Almufa, você arrumou uma rival nos tamanhos dos posts! ;)

16. Macunaíma

Macunaíma Senior Member

Um ninho de mafagalfinhos
    português, Brasil
    Eu também sempre entendi assim: "eu não sei quase nada, mas desconfio(tenho uma vaga idéia) de muita coisa". O fato de suspeitar/desconfiar poder ter tanto um sentido "negativo" como "positivo" deve ser um dos truques de que se valeu Guimarães Rosa nessa frase.

17. almufadado

almufadado Senior Member

Earth
    Português de Portugal
    Leio "Desconfiar" no sentido de :
    -> suspeitar que algo existe
    -> ter dúvidas sobe algo ser assim ou não
    -> pensar que pode existir algo mais que o evidente

Mas no inglês "suspect" só se for construido :
    pelo positiva -> I suspect there is more than meets the eye
    I have the suspiction there is more there than the things I can see or can know about it !
    "Eu desconfio que pode haver outro sistema solar parecido com o nosso" -> assumpção ou premissa positiva

e não pela negativa -> "I suspect a lot of things." ->" I have suspicions about a lot of things "
    não sei não me soa bem ... não dá positividade !
    "eu desconfio que aquele gajo quer-me roubar a carteira ! - negative context

"Distrust" é que não ! O contexto, apesar de ambíguo, é positivo, daí não ver uma opção em inglês . Sim "distrust" pode ser também "suspicion" ou "doubt" mas é sempre com conotoção muito negativa em construções negativas. "Not to give your trust to something or someone!"

Assim com não a "mistrust", "mis-affiance" , "misgiving", e muito menos "misleading".

A principal premissa de uma pessoa inquisitiva é ser capaz de pensar para além do que é óbvio.

Não é preciso ser-se doutor para se ser inquisitivo. Os melhores inventores de Portugal são pessoas comuns, alguns com apenas a 4ª classe. Não é por isso que não conseguem ver para além do que é substantivo, e entrar no reino do possivel e da possibilidade ... da imaginação.

No campo da sabedoria popular, as pessoas (por vezes rotuladas de ignorantes) podem não saber explicar por palavras o que fazem, como e por que o fazem. Um agricultor sabe do tempo que faz na sua região melhor que o suprasumo do metereologistas.

- Hoje vai chover ! diz o agricultor
    - Vai ? mas o céu está azul !
    - É que xabe o xenhor doutori ... doi-me aqui no joeílho ! :D

Ou seja, ele não sabe (quase) nada comparativamente ao metereologista. Agora ele desconfia que vai chover ! Porque/Por que passou a associar a dor no joelho à mudança do tempo (tal como eu e o meu tornozelo maldito nas grandes mudanças de tempo !)

Esta é a caracteristica do Homo Sappiens : associação de coisas, conceitos e ideias. Ser curioso ... ter curisosidade ! Be inquisitive not distrustful!

18. GOODVIEW

GOODVIEW Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
    Portugues brasileiro
    Assim como a Ana e o Macunaíma, entendo a segunda frase como sendo uma contradição da primeira.

É Riobaldo quem fala, jagunço de Grande Sertão: Veredas. Entendo que esteja dizendo que por debaixo daquela aparente ignorância, sendo ele um sertanejo que quase não recebeu instrução, tem uma sabedoria que enxerga longe. Quase que nada não sabe porque quase que nada não lhe foi ensinado mas tem noção de qualquer assunto e pode prosear sobre a idéia que soltarem em sua frente que, por ligeira que seja, segue o rastro mato adentro sem nunca perder a pista.

Riobaldo está se vangloriando de sua astúcia e sagacidade.

"Desconfiar" é também usado com o significado de "ter uma noção", "supor", "presumir":

19. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Adesconfeio de tudo... Sim, gente, este é o truque do Rosa: fazer a gente pensar que não tem nada, mas tem tudo. Ele não sabe, mas desconfia. O leitor desavisado vai na primeira leitura: ''Mostrar-se desconfiado; não fiar; duvidar'', mas quem conhece Rosa sabe que ele quer dizer: ''Ter suposição de; supor, julgar, conjeturar'', ou seja, eu não sei, mas tenho uma suspeita de que pode ser isso ou aquilo, afinal mineiro tem que ficar em cima do muro. :)

20. almufadado

almufadado Senior Member

Earth
    Português de Portugal
    "Politicamente só existe aquilo que o povo sabe que existe", uma citação do nosso amado ex-ditador felizmente já morto (mas não enterrado ... :mad:) Salazar, do discurso da inauguração do Secretariado de Propaganda Nacional, em 26 de Outubro de 1933.

21. Heredianista

Portland, Maine
    English - USA
    I love this!

Thank you for sharing this interpretation.

And yours, also, GOODVIEW, macunaíma and almufadado. Very interesting. I am humbled.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  22. Nonstar

Nonstar Senior Member

the outskirts of inner pantyhoses
    In-love-with-the-coming-race Portuguese
    Talvez não concordem comigo, concordo com vocês todos quanto a possíveis interpretações e traduções, mas há um outro aspecto, imagino. Quando o moço "aparentemente simplório", mas que tem a sapiência comum ao vulgo, diz que desconfia de muita coisa, a mim me parece que também está dizendo: "pareço bobo, simples, mas não tente me enganar ou tentar me passar para trás, pois deconfio de tudo (com o que aprendi na vida)". Esse aspecto parece estar ali de alguma forma.

23. almufadado

almufadado Senior Member

Earth
    Português de Portugal
    Isso que descreve faz para da sabedoria mas sobretudo da experiência.

Frases da sabedoria popular ilustram isso :
    "Confia na virgem e não corras !"
    "Confiar ? eu nem na minha sombra confio !"
    "Emprestar dinheiro pra amigo é risco em dobro" ... não é que desconfie do amigo .. a bem ver é amigo, mas quando se mete dinheiro no meio a coisa sempre dá para o torto"
    PT-PT "Quem empresta dinheiro perde o amigo e o dinheiro. "

E o que diz tem o seu expoente máximo nos seguintes adágios :

"Quando a esmola é grande, o pobre desconfia." = sertão "Esmola muito grande cego desconfia"
    "Desconfia do homem que não fala e do cão que não ladra "

Boletim de Filologia - As relações entre o corpo e o carácter na linguagem popular portuguesa.

Ah E até os letrados leitores desconfiam :) :D

"Desconfia do livro que, uma vez fechado, não incita a ser repensado"

24. Heredianista

Portland, Maine
    English - USA
    I completely agree — at the very least, that this is a super-valid interpretation. (Whether it's what GR meant, I wouldn't know!) Well said!