Euskara: Happy Valentines Day

< Previous | Next >

darrensmith22

English - England
I hope someone can help me...I want to send a Valentines Card to a Basque friend. I'd love to be able to say 'Happy Valentines Day' or 'be my valentine' or some such in Euskara. Could anyone help me, I can't seem to find a Euskara translation!

• Lurrezko

Spanish (Spain) / Catalan
    I hope someone can help me...I want to send a Valentines Card to a Basque friend. I'd love to be able to say 'Happy Valentines Day' or 'be my valentine' or some such in Euskara. Could anyone help me, I can't seem to find a Euskara translation!
    Welcome to the forums, darrensmith22 :)

I would say San Balendin egun on! or Maiteminduen egun on! Let's wait for a native-speaker's confirmation.

crypt

English
    As mentioned above, they don't really say such things in Basque because Valentine's Day is not part of Basque (or Spanish) culture. Also, there is no standard formula in Basque for saying "Happy X Day", so anything you come up with is going to sound a bit contrived really. If I had to do it, I would probably write "San Valentin zoriontsua izan", literally "Have a happy Saint Valentine" ("Balendin" would be the correct spelling in modern standardised Basque, but it's really just a Basquification of the Spanish spelling, which is more commonly used). Maybe could write something like this in the card instead ;):

Badakit Euskal Herrian egun hau ez dela ospatzen, berez ingelesez galdetuko dizut: "Will you be my Valentine?", niretzat neska berezia zarelako.

I know this day isn't celebrated in the Basque Country, so I'll ask you in English: "Will you be my Valentine?", because for me you're a special girl.

Lurrezko

Spanish (Spain) / Catalan
    Badakit Euskal Herrian egun hau ez dela ospatzen, berez ingelesez galdetuko dizut: "Will you be my Valentine?", niretzat neska berezia zarelako.

I know this day isn't celebrated in the Basque Country, so I'll ask you in English: "Will you be my Valentine?", because for me you're a special girl.
    Nik ondo deritzot, oso iradokizun zuzena da.
    Looks good to me, it's a very apt suggestion.:)

< Previous | Next >