evasion of the host chronic inflammatory reaction.

< Previous | Next >

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi

From a stomach disease document quote :Evasion of the host chronic inflammatory reaction by H. pylori leads to chronic active gastritis

What does Evasion of the host here mean?

Thanks.

• Copyright

American English
    I would guess (literally) that Invasion is meant, but the sequence of the sentence is a little odd for me, as well. I would not expect a "reaction" to be invaded or evaded.

Edit: This answer is not correct. Please see JulianStuart's post 5.

Last edited:

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thanks Copyright, so evasion is invasion. I don't know why the writer write so.​

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Well, I can't be sure, but I can imagine H. pylori invading your body, but it's probably not in its nature to evade you because making you miserable is what it does for a living. :)

Edit: This answer is not correct. Please see JulianStuart's post 5.

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It should be understood as "evasion of" "the host chronic inflammatory reaction". In this case the host is probably the human who suffers what is sometimes known as a stomach ulcer. The word host is, I think, appositive and means "the host's chronic ...." The bacterium can "evade" the host's response that would otherwise attack it.

Copyright

American English
    I knew I should have stayed out of this thread, but sometimes a fool has to do what a fool has to do. :D

So it's H. pylori that's evading the person's chronic inflammatory reaction. And this evasion leads to chronic active gastritis.

Is that about right, JS?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Yes indeed.

Pathogens that do not evade the body's defences are usually dealt with, eventually. The immune system has an inflammatory reaction as part of its arsenal.

< Previous | Next >