even, I had romantically imagined, with obscure, deep-lying recognition

< Previous | Next >

Zahraa Samy

Arabic
Hello,

The following sentence is from Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon. Can you help me understand the underlined part? I find it strange starting from the comma after even! What I understood is that it means that "the way she looked at him had led him to have romantic fantasies powered by obscure deep recognition." I am not sure though, and would highly appreciate your input.

"We had first met when she was a child. Our eyes encountered. She looked at me for a moment with quiet attention; even, I had romantically imagined, with obscure, deep-lying recognition."

Thanks in advance!

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    She looked at me for a moment with quiet attention; even, I had romantically imagined, with obscure, deep-lying recognition."
    To rephrase: She looked at me with quiet attention, and I romantically imagined that perhaps there was even some obscure, deep-lying recognition in her look.

Try reading the original this way (changes in red and strike-through):
    She looked at me for a moment with quiet attention; and perhaps even (as I had romantically imagined), with obscure, deep-lying recognition."

Zahraa Samy

Arabic
    To rephrase: She looked at me with quiet attention, and I romantically imagined that perhaps there was even some obscure, deep-lying recognition in her look.

Try reading the original this way (changes in red and strike-through):
    She looked at me for a moment with quiet attention; and perhaps even (as I had romantically imagined), with obscure, deep-lying recognition."
    Thank you so much for the elaboration!

< Previous | Next >