Even if the existence of such a world were never

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
For one could assert nothing at all of the metaphysical world except that it was a being-other, an inaccessible, incomprehensible being-other; it would be a thing with negative qualities. - Even if the existence of such a world were never so well demonstrated, it is certain that knowledge of it would be the most useless of all knowledge: more useless even than knowledge of the chemical composition of water must be to the sailor in danger of shipwreck.
(Friedrich Nietzsche, "Human, All Too Human", translated by R.J. Hollingdale, "On First and Last Things", # 9)

Does the part in bold sound good to you and conform with what is said hereafter?

Thanks.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Yes, it sounds good to me, and it conforms with what follows. (It also sounds a bit formal and dated. You aren't likely to see it in contemporary writing.)

Even if the existence of such a world were never so well demonstrated

means:
    Even if the existence of such a world were demonstrated as well as possible... ...

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
    Even if the existence of such a world were demonstrated as well as possible... ...
    As far as I can see now the "never so" plays the role of an intensifier here?
    Are my following examples of the usage of the "never so" correct?

"Even if you were never so smart, you would not be able to understand quantum mechanics."

"If you hadn't been never so wrong, we might have forgiven you."

Thanks.

< Previous | Next >