even if you brought those to whom the Book had been given every proof...

chobalsim

Banned
India-Hindi
<< Excess quoted text deleted. >>

Source: http://www.allah.com/cgi-bin/mt.cgi?lang=en&cfile=TheKoran

Hello, everyone.
This is part of English translation of Koran.
In [2.144], it reads "Those to whom the Book was given know this to be the truth from their Lord." It means when they read the Book--Koran, I think--they know they have to face the Sacred Mosque because it's the truth from their Lord, Allah.
But [2. 145] is very confusing to me. There are "you" and "they" in the paragraph. Both part have different directions. The last sentence says "if you yield to their desires, then you will surely be among the harm doers," which means you must not yield to their directions, which, again, means they have wrong directions. But "they" are those who had been given the Book, so they should know "this"--to face the Sacred Mosque--to be the truth from their Lord. Then why they refuse to accept "your direction?"
I can't understand the contradiction. Which part of my understanding is wrong?

• bhagavan dasa

Brazil, portuguese
    "If after all the knowledge you have been given you yield to their desires...".

It "their" reffers to the last "they" the ones who received the book, your misunderstanding, i think, is to have not noticed that the same people who received the book haven't "accepted its direction".

If you serve to these people who have the book but don't follow it, you will be among them, among the harm doer.

bhagavan dasa

Brazil, portuguese
    They have both the book and the proof of such knowledge according to the text. Theologically saying, I'm not sure, but maybe they are worst than the other sinful people who have no knowledge. I think the scripture is preaching against the false religious people, who have all the "external clothes" but in fact have no faith or exemplar behave, and following them do not bring success.

I will not try more than that because I don't know practically anything about this religion.

Trisia

Romanian
    This is indeed a bit strange. My first thought was that perhaps "those to whom the Book had been given" were the Jews, because we see in 2.87 - 89 that they were given the Book through Moses, and are supposed to recognise Muhammad as the true prophet based on this. So that was my first interpretation, and it would match 2.144 too.

But I just looked at my Romanian copy, and 2.145 reads like this:
    "Even if you brought those who did not receive the Book/to whom the Book has not been given* every proof, they will not accept..." and this would probably make a world of a difference - those to whom the truth has not been revealed will not accept it, regardless of the proof they could be shown.

I guess this is why they say that only the original is inerrant.

*) Sorry, the Romanian version is a bit unclear - I can't tell if they refused it or they weren't given the book :(

chobalsim

Banned
    India-Hindi
    Thank you, bhagavan dasa.
    Then, although those to whom the Book was given should know this to be the truth from their Lord, they don't know it even after receiving the Book and didn't follow the truth?

chobalsim

Banned
    India-Hindi
    Thank you, Trisia.
    Yes, I first thought like you, Trisia, that the Book could refer to the Bible of Christians or Jews. But in [2.2] there is a sententence; "That is the (Holy) Book, where there is no doubt." :(

Trisia

Romanian
    Well, my only thought is that maybe this forum isn't the best place to seek an answer. You see that translations differ, it could very well be a mistake in the text, you know.

chobalsim

Banned
    India-Hindi
    "Even if you brought those who did not receive the Book/to whom the Book has not been given* every proof, they will not accept..."
    Wow, is that your Romanian translation? If so, it's very clear, isn't it? But I'm afraid I'm not sure which version is correct.

Thank you so much, Trisia.

< Previous | Next >