even/odd

miller0709

English
I am substituting in a classroom and have English Language Learners in the classroom. The assignment given requires students do the "odd" numbered questions. As I was translating I ran into this stumbling block. I don't know how to describe odd numbers versus even numbers. Dije que tenían que hacer "cada otra pregunta empezando con número uno". ¿Está bién?

• micafe

Spanish - Colombia
    I am substituting in a classroom and have English Language Learners in the classroom. The assignment given requires students do the "odd" numbered questions. As I was translating I ran into this stumbling block. I don't know how to describe odd numbers versus even numbers. Dije que tenían que hacer "cada otra pregunta empezando con número uno". ¿Está bién?
    No, no está bien. "Cada otra pregunta" doesn't mean anything in Spanish. It seems to me you tried to translate "every other question". The way we say it is "una pregunta de por medio".

As the others said, "odd number" = "número impar" and "even number" = "número par".

We talk about "pares y nones" but I'd never say "número non". It sounds weird.

:)

EddieZumac

English/Spanish
    No, no está bien. "Cada otra pregunta" doesn't mean anything in Spanish. It seems to me you tried to translate "every other question". The way we say it is "una pregunta de por medio".

As the others said, "odd number" = "número impar" and "even number" = "número par".

We talk about "pares y nones" but I'd never say "número non". It sounds weird.

:)
    But you can say "números nones", no?

< Previous | Next >