even today, doctors don't know everything about the human brain

kanojo_

Slovenia, Slovene
Hello,

How to change the sentence "even today, doctors don't know everything about the human brain" in Japanese using simple Japanese?

My try: 今でもお医者さんは人間の脳について全部わかっていません。

Thank you.

• Ocham

Japanese
    My try: 今日(kon-nichi *not "kyou")でも、医者は人間の脳について全てが
    わかっているわけではない/脳について全てを知っているわけではない。

sekaijuuni

United States, English
    My try: 今日(kon-nichi *not "kyou")でも、医者は人間の脳について全てが
    わかっているわけではない/脳について全てを知っているわけではない。
    I'm not a native Japanese speaker but 今日 sounds weird to me, even as こんにち. Is it really OK? Would something like 現在の医者でも be acceptable instead/as well?

I am really curious about how kanji meaning can change with pronunciation, so I'd really like to hear about this.

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    I'm not a native Japanese speaker but 今日 sounds weird to me, even as こんにち. Is it really OK? Would something like 現在の医者でも be acceptable instead/as well?
    Sometimes 今日 gets furigana, こんにち, lest misunderstanding should occur. It undoubtedly sounds a little more literary than 現在 or 現代.

This brings me to your second question. 現在の医者 is not a good collocation because 現在 is a very narrow time strip that could be a few days in the minimum. 現代, literally the present generation, is preferred. This sentence implicitly compares modern researches of the brain with more traditional understanding.

現代 is often used as the suffix for academic disciplines to set the present researches off from classical works in the field:
    現代数学, 現代量子力学, 現代経済学 etc.

Further pursuing naturalness, I dare to propose that "doctors" (bearers of knowledge, with various levels of understanding) needs to be replaced by "medicine" (the knowledge itself).
    現代医学でも、人間の脳についてすべて分かっているわけではない。

< Previous | Next >