Even

colombo-aussie

Spanish - Colombian
Hi,

I don't know exactly where the word "even" should be placed in the following sentence.

The repagination application in Office 2007 (Word), makes the PC stop working properly and I have lost even documents during this process.

...I even have lost documents...?

Thanks.

Last edited:
  • AprendoSiempre

American English (NC)
    Colombo-aussie,
    Just to make sure you know why: even goes right before what you want to emphasize (the loss of documents).

If you had put the even before documents, I would assume other things are being lost and your complaint is that documents as well are disappearing.

Even is preferred before lost, instead of before have, just to be closer to what it modifies.

colombo-aussie

Spanish - Colombian
    Colombo-aussie,
    Just to make sure you know why: even goes right before what you want to emphasize (the loss of documents).

If you had put the even before documents, I would assume other things are being lost and your complaint is that documents as well are disappearing.

Even is preferred before lost, instead of before have, just to be closer to what it modifies.

Much clearer now, and thanks for taking the time to explain the reason for this. This is the sort of tip/explanation that makes it easier to understand this language.

Many thanks.

Last edited: