event-horizon personality

< Previous | Next >

hoosung

Chinese-China
Hello everyone,

I came across this sentence while reading an article this morning:

My mom wasn't the effusive type anyway, had one of those event-horizon personalities - shit just fell into her and you never really knew what she felt about it.

The second half kinda explains what an event-horizon personality looks like I suppose? But I still don't know for sure what 'event-horizon' means.

Could someone please explain a bit more?

Thanks in advance.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It's a reference to the event horizon of a black hole: light and matter fall into it but can't come out. This use for a person is new to me, but the explanation is enough to see what they mean.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    The event horizon is a scientific term for the point near a black hole, beyond which the hole's gravity is too strong for anything to escape. The black hole "sucks" everything into itself. No light can escape.

So, the writer's mother seems to "suck" bad events to herself; no reaction escapes.

[Cross-posted.]

Chasint

English - England
    In astrophysics, an event horizon is a boundary beyond which events cannot affect an observer on the opposite side of it. An event horizon is most commonly associated with black holes, where gravitational forces are so strong that light cannot escape. Event horizon - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_horizon

Off topic but please note that "kinda" is not a recognised abbreviation in most written English - certainly never use it in any formal writing or communication. It would be penalised in an exam because it appears uneducated, - the words should be "kind of".
    "kinda" may sometimes be used in comic books, social media, or quoted dialog to indicate sloppy speech.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >