Ever a demanding reader

DUET

Bengali
Source:
Official Guide to the GRE

Ever a demanding reader of the fiction of others, the novelist Chase was likewise often the object of exacting analyses by his contemporaries.

What is the idea of the sentence?

• Sparky Malarky

English - US
    This sentence will also probably be easier for you to understand if you turn it around:

The novelist Chase was ever a demanding reader of the fiction of others, and often the object of exacting analyses by his contemporaries.

Biffo

English - England
    If it is the order of the sentence that bothers you, here it is inverted.

The novelist Chase, who was ever (always) a demanding reader of the fiction of others, was likewise often the object of exacting analyses by his contemporaries.

(Haha! Sparky Malarky did a different inversion)

DUET

Bengali
    I just don't understand why someone will be an object of exacting analyses by his contemporaries if he is a demanding reader of the fictions of his contemporaries.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    He is a demanding reader. He expects others' fiction to be good and he criticizes it when it is not. His contemporaries do the same to him.

wandle

English - British
    I just don't understand why someone will be an object of exacting analyses by his contemporaries if he is a demanding reader of the fictions of his contemporaries.
    There is no reason why one should follow from the other, and the original sentence does not say or suggest that it should. It merely says that both points are true.

amismael

Arabic
    Added to previous thread.
    Cagey, moderator

Ever a demanding reader of the fictions of others, the novelist Chase was likewise often the object of meticulous analyses by his contemporaries.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    A demanding reader in this context is a critical reader - when this novelist Chase reads books, his does so critically (not necessarily critical in the negative sense), and with a very analytical eye. He is meticulous and exacting.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Ever a demanding reader of the fictions of others, the novelist Chase was likewise often the object of meticulous analyses by his contemporaries.
    What is your question, amismael? Always explain clearly what you want to know so people can give a useful answer.

You also should tell us where you saw or heard the sentence you are asking about.
    I found this sentence on a website called Quizlet in a set of contextless flashcards: news Flashcards | Quizlet
    The sentence is a an example of the use of the word 'likewise'.

It possible that amismael saw it somewhere else.

amismael

Arabic
    M
    What is your question, amismael? Always explain clearly what you want to know so people can give a useful answer.

You also should tell us where you saw or heard the sentence you are asking about.
    I found this sentence on a website called Quizlet in a set of contextless flashcards: news Flashcards | Quizlet
    The sentence is a an example of the use of the word 'likewise'.

It possible that amismael saw it somewhere else.
    My question is: What's the meaning of "a demanding reader"?

I read that sentence in a set of contextless fill-in-the-blank questions, in the GRE Official Guide.

< Previous | Next >