ever so slightly

raf.personal

English
Hi!
In the following context, what's the meaning of the expression ever so slightly?
"It's a flexible machine that's designed to bend ever so slightly under certain kinds of stresses."
Thanks!

• e2efour

UK English
    I find this an odd sentence!
    Bend implies flexibility.
    I would interpret it as to bend to an insignificant extent.

What kind of a machine is it?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It's talking about an airplane, and this is why the point that it is slightly flexible and not completely rigid is worth making. Here it is with the preceding sentence:
    "Every aircraft, even brand new, is designed to be somewhat flexible -- it's not a piece of rock. It's a flexible machine that's designed to bend ever so slightly under certain kinds of stresses." CNN Travel.

djmc

English - United Kingdom
    In BE "ever so slightly" is usually a litotes i.e. rather a lot. I might say fo instance "I was ever so slightly angry with him" meaning I was frothing at the mouth with rage.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In BE "ever so slightly" is usually a litotes i.e. rather a lot. I might say fo instance "I was ever so slightly angry with him" meaning I was frothing at the mouth with rage.
    This is interesting, but a very different meaning from the one intended in the context given.

e2efour

UK English
    I thought a litotes had to have a negative in it. Where is it?

I don't believe ever so slightly can mean very!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >