ever the blond athletic one

< Previous | Next >

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
Hello everyone

I came across an odd sentence and could really use your help, your opinion, or anything. It's from Cecily von Ziegesar's Gossip Girl and it's a passage describing boys cutting school, smoking a joint and playing football. The mysterious sentence is underlined, that is, the mysterious part.
"Charlie puffed on the joint and passed it to Jeremy. Nate shot him the ball and Charlie tripped over it. He was six feet tall, and his head was too big for his body. People called him Frankenstein. Ever the blond athletic one, even when he was stoned, Anthony dove for the ball, kicked it up in the air and headed it to Jeremy."
I'm almost sure "ever" is a misspelled "even", but it still doesn't make sense to me. What do you make of it? I'd be very grateful for any ideas. Thanks ;)

• rsweet

English, North America
    "Ever" in this context means "always." It means that Anthony fit the "type" or sterotype of the "blond althletic boy" even when he was high on marijuana.

Kelly B

USA English
    Ever could be replaced here by always: (Anthony was) Always the blond athletic one (of the group)...
    The sentence is correct as written.

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
    Thank you very much! I should really check a dictionary, a grammar book, etc. I really didn't know "ever" means that :eek: Thanks!

rat boy

English, England
    I believe that it was meant to be "ever" and it is a reference to the amount of times that he has been called "the athletic one".
    For example the phrase "ever the critic" which means that the person has been known as a critic for a long while.
    It could be a synonym for "forever" within this context or "forever" is just incorrect grammar in the sentence.
    Does this help?

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
    rat boy said:
    I believe that it was meant to be "ever" and it is a reference to the amount of times that he has been called "the athletic one".
    For example the phrase "ever the critic" which means that the person has been known as a critic for a long while.
    It could be a synonym for "forever" within this context or "forever" is just incorrect grammar in the sentence.
    Does this help?
    It does help, thanks ;)

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    He may not have actually been "blond and athletic" but he played the part of being one. The 'ever' implies that he was always in that role.

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
    maxiogee said:
    He may not have actually been "blond and athletic" but he played the part of being one. The 'ever' implies that he was always in that role.
    Thanks ;) I didn't know that

< Previous | Next >