everlasting eyes

< Previous | Next >

Michael Ford

spanish
In The Sojouner Carsin McCullers wrote "Billy's everlasting eyes...". Can somebody help me understand the correct meaning of the phrase, please?
Thank you.

• EStjarn

Spanish
    Here's from The Sojouner (approx. 1951) by Carson McCullers (source):
    Bailey said to the children, 'It's somebody's supper-time. Come on now.'
    'But Daddy! Mama and Mr. Ferris - I -- '
    Billy's everlasting eyes - perplexed and with a glimmer of hostility - reminded Ferris of the gaze of another child. It was the young son of Jeannine - a boy of seven with a shadowed little face and knobby knees whom Ferris avoided and usually forgot.
    Not knowing the wider context, my guess is that everlasting, which means 'eternal', is used poetically here to refer to a strong impression which Billy's eyes has made on the narrator or perhaps on one of the characters. A kind of impression that might last for a lifetime.

pops91710

English, AE
    Here's from The Sojouner (approx. 1951) by Carson McCullers (source):
    Bailey said to the children, 'It's somebody's supper-time. Come on now.'
    'But Daddy! Mama and Mr. Ferris - I -- '
    Billy's everlasting eyes - perplexed and with a glimmer of hostility - reminded Ferris of the gaze of another child. It was the young son of Jeannine - a boy of seven with a shadowed little face and knobby knees whom Ferris avoided and usually forgot.
    Not knowing the wider context, my guess is that everlasting, which means 'eternal', is used poetically here to refer to a strong impression which Billy's eyes has made on the narrator or perhaps on one of the characters. A kind of impression that might last for a lifetime.
    Wow! That is a new one for me. A strange way to use the adjective.

se16teddy

English - England
    That's exactly what I understood too.

Michael Ford

spanish
    Thank you for all the answers I have received, they were very helpful. I am very happy to participate in the Forum from now on. Michael Ford

< Previous | Next >