every dog will have its day

giro

English USA
Every dog will have his day.

People say it when a perennial loser triumphs. If the worst team in the NFL beat a good team in their own stadium you would hear it the next day on Sports Center.

1. Is there an equivalent Italian phrase?
2. Would it be understood if somebody simply said 'ogni cane avrà suo giorno' ?

• europefranc

Italian
    Every dog will have his day.

People say it when a perennial loser triumphs. If the worst team in the NFL beat a good team in their own stadium you would hear it the next day on Sports Center.

1. Is there an equivalent Italian phrase?
    2. Would it be understood if somebody simply said 'ogni cane avrà suo giorno' ?

Hello :)

I personally cannot see a literal translation in Italian. I would therefore suggest :

A ognuno la sua rivincita/Ognuno ha diritto a una rivincita

I am just curious to know whether the expression you gave is related to "the underdog". Thank you very much

giro

English USA
    The same thought occurred to me, europafranc. It's funny seeing the same analogy between dogfights and political contests and sports in different expression, and arouses suspicions. I was going to say I thought they probably arose independently, but lost that conviction the more I thought about it. Perhaps they are in the OED? Surely someone here has one of those.

Belladoo12

english
    Listen Paul, I did not mean to come across as impolite. I sent my inquiry prematurely as I was not completed with It. My multi-tasking seems to have me botching things. But thanks for the advice.