every generation breeds a more rabbity generation, with india rubber tubing for guts and tin legs

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 320, chapter 15) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Connie asked Mellors whether the common people priggish, narrow-gutted, and half-balled, as the middle and upper class officers, Mellors said:"all the lot……")

All the lot. Their spunk is gone dead. Motor-cars and cinemas and aeroplanes suck that last bit out of them. I tell you, every generation breeds a more rabbity generation, with india rubber tubing for guts and tin legs and tin faces. ……’

I can guess all the lot means all belong to the same group(=lot), spunk refers to seminal fluid. But how should I understand the sentence in blue please?
What's rabbity generation, how can people have rubber tubbing guts, and tin legs and tin faces?
Thank you in advance

• owlman5

English-US
    I interpret "rabbity" to mean something like "frail" or "spindly". The rest of the sentence obviously uses figurative language. That language seems to indicate that there is something increasingly unnatural about new generations of people.

"Spunk" can mean "seminal fluid". It can also mean something like "courage" or "vigor" or "liveliness".

Last edited:

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you. I've found rabbity is defined as coward by two English-Chinese dictionaries, but no English-English dictionaries support it.

longxianchen

chinese
    rabbity is used to designate the parasitic tendencies of modern man who destroys the natural world(nibbles the face of the earth to a desert) and hops about in a manic, restless motion.(here). I post it here to share with you

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >