every glance in the glass showed her such a flush of loveliness

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 32) | Genius

Quotation: Miss Oliver already honored me with frequent visits to my cottage. I had learnt her whole character, which was without mystery or disguise: she was coquettish but not heartless; exacting, but not worthlessly selfish. She had been indulged from her birth, but was not absolutely spoilt. She was hasty, but good-humored; vain (she could not help it, when every glance in the glass showed her such a flush of loveliness), but not affected;…
===
Hi everyone! The bold part is somewhat vague to me. I try to make it clear as below. Is it correct?

The sentence => every reflection seen in the mirror showed her such abundant attractiveness.

• goldenband

English - American
    You're exactly right, though -- since I'd prefer to use a more active voice -- I might say instead: "every time she looked in the mirror and saw her reflection, it showed her such abundant attractiveness".

As a side note, initially I wondered if an archaic construction with "show" was being used here, in which the meaning would be "showed her [to be]" instead of "showed [to] her". But I don't think that's the case.

goldenband

English - American
    You're welcome. Essentially the phrase means "every time she saw her reflection in the mirror, she was reminded that she was extremely beautiful".

< Previous | Next >