Every January

< Previous | Next >

Suki123

English
I would like to say "every January" I do something.

Is "Tous janvier" correct or do I need something between these two words?

• JMgif

English, Canada
    Can you say le janvier? Or is this just for days of the week? I know you can say something on the lines of ...et livrer les journaux le samedi, to say you do it each samedi...

Eggo

Canada - English
    JMgif,
    Depending on the context you use it, you may use le janvier

You could say, On livre les journaux le samedi
    But to be more precise you would use: On livre les journaux chaque samedi.

Because if you use le, for example, in a past tense;

On a livré les journaux le samedi.

Meaning that you delivered the journals Saturday. It does not mean that you did or do it each Saturday.

So you can say le samedi ou le janvier but you have to be careful of the context and tense in which you use it.

I hope this was of some help. :)
    I can't say I'm the best at explaining.

Mauricet

French - France
    Comme francophone, je dois rectifier : on ne dit pas *le janvier, mais en janvier, ou chaque mois de janvier. "Chaque janvier" se comprend mais n'est pas usité (en France au moins, je ne sais pas pour le Canada). Aussi Chaque année en janvier.

Quaeitur

French
    Comme francophone, je dois rectifier : on ne dit pas *le janvier, mais en janvier, ou chaque mois de janvier. "Chaque janvier" se comprend mais n'est pas usité (en France au moins, je ne sais pas pour le Canada). Aussi Chaque année en janvier.
    I second all these points. :)

One can also use En janvier, or Au mois de janvier if the sentence make it clear that the event that's talked about has a yearly occurrence:

Je vide toujours mes armoires de mes vieux vêtements en janvier

< Previous | Next >