every last lumbering dragon

< Previous | Next >

papeya

italian
Hello everybody, I thought to present to you, mothertongues, this sentence I found very complicated and confused to translate. It is part of the novel I'm translating, I think it involves some visionary elements I would like to be able to translate properly. If not, please tell me what you understand. Thanks to every helper.

The gril is travelling on a bus in Dublin. The narrator says:
She loved the double-decker buses, every last lumbering dragon.

Papeya

• Alxmrphi

UK English
    Hello everybody, I thought I'd give you, mothertongues, a sentence I found very complicated and confusing to translate. It is part of a novel I'm translating, I think it involves some visionary elements I would like to be able to translate properly. If not, please tell me what you understand. Thanks to every helper.

The girl is travelling on a bus in Dublin. The narrator says:
    She loved the double-decker buses, every last lumbering dragon.

Papeya
    Just helping the English there, as for "lumbering dragon" I have no idea, maybe it's an Irish thing, I wonder if maxiogee knows.

Kafoozalem

England English
    It's a metaphor. It is comparing the buses to dragons. In this case "lumbering" is used to suggest that the buses move slowly, as you might expect dragons to do. Hope this helps.

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    To me, this is a methaphore. It is comparing the buses that has a second floor, with dragons made of wood.
    In this sentence, "lumbering" doesn't have to do with lumber or wood. It means move slowly and awkwardly.
    :)

< Previous | Next >