Every <living> U.S. president

< Previous | Next >

longki

Indonesia
Hello Everyone, I'm sent a document by my teacher. and one of the sentence is :

Every living U.S. president is also expected to attend the funeral, health permitting.

What is the exactly means of the bold-sentence ?

• Liam Lew's

It means: Every U.S. president who is alive now.

It seems a little illogical to me, because there's only one president at the time. A former president is no longer president.

semeeran

Indian Tamil, India
    1. Every living U.S. ex=president is also expected to attend the funeral, (if) health permitting.
    2. Every alive U.S. ex=president is also expected to attend the funeral, (if) health permitting.
    3. Every U.S. ex=president who is alive is also expected to attend the funeral, (if) health permitting.
    Which one is correct. Please comment.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    1. Every living U.S. ex=president is also expected to attend the funeral, (if) health permitting.
    2. Every alive U.S. ex=president is also expected to attend the funeral, (if) health permitting.
    3. Every U.S. ex=president who is alive is also expected to attend the funeral, (if) health permitting.
    Which one is correct. Please comment.
    The first is the most correct. However, note that "Liam Lew's" comment from 2014 was the comment of someone who was both a non-native speaker and a citizen of Germany rather than America. While "Liam Lew's" may find it "illogical" to refer to former U.S. presidents as "presidents", that is nevertheless the practice in this country, even if it is not the practice in his own. Thus, Americans < --- > would refer to former presidents as "presidents", and really would say "All living U.S. presidents are expected to attend the funeral."

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >