"Every man shall be called fairly in turns by the list

absfabs

korean
on board of prizes, because over and above their proper share, they are allowed a shift of clothes."
It's a clause of Pirate Code, and I'm having difficulty in understanding the meaning. Thanks for your advice!:)

• grubble

British English
    Every pirate will be called in turn.
    The list of prizes that have been captured by the pirates is to be found on board the ship.
    Apart from receiving their share of the prizes, pirates are also allowed a suit of clothes.

I don't exactly see how this works either.

Does anyone else have a better idea?

Loob

English UK
    Another possibility (I certainly wouldn't call it 'better', grubble - not least because you might keel-haul me:eek:) is that "on board of prizes" means "when prize ships are boarded".

Andygc

British English
    A prize is certainly a captured ship, but a bit more context would help - like a link to the full set of rules of the Pirate Code so we can see how the other clauses are written.

Loob

English UK
    A prize is certainly a captured ship, but a bit more context would help - like a link to the full set of rules of the Pirate Code so we can see how the other clauses are written.
    Here's a link, Andy.

I'm not sure it does help much....:(

Andygc

British English
    It doesn't help a lot.

My reading is that there was a crew list on Bart's ship and that each man in turn would be allowed to go on board a prize to take a change (shift) of clothes from those on board - ie the clothes left behind by the captured/slaughtered crew and passengers - but if they took anything else of value they would be punished severely.

< Previous | Next >