Every once in a while I think of you. I miss receiving one of your letters.

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Vespa2, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Vespa2 Member

U.S.A English
    I would like to send a card to my uncle. Would someone be kind enough to make corrections to these sentences or give me a thumbs up? Thank you so much.

I am trying to say-- Every once in a while I think of you. I miss receiving one of your letters. I hope that all is going well.

Di tanto in tanto ti penso con affetto. Mi manca una la tua lettere. Spero che tutti sta andando bene.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011
  2. Blackman

Blackman Senior Member

Island of Sardinia, Italy
    Italiano/Sardo
    I miss receiving one of your letters is not very clear to me, I guess you mean you'd be glad to receive at least one.

Di tanto in tanto ti penso con affetto. Mi manca ricevere almeno una tua lettera. Spero vada tutto bene.

3. Vespa2 Member

U.S.A English
    Would it be clearer if I state it like this?

Di tanto in tanto ti penso con affetto. Purtroppo è da tanto tempo che non ti sento. Mi manca ricevere almeno una tua lettera. Spero vada tutto bene.

My uncle is a stickler for proper grammer and syntax; for this reason I am especially grateful for all you your suggestions. Thanks!

4. Blackman

Blackman Senior Member

Italiano/Sardo
    Much clearer, but too many tanto and tempo, your stickler uncle wouldn't miss to notice those redundancies...let's reword it a bit.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  5. Vespa2 Member

U.S.A English
    Grazie molto!

6. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    Hullo, Vespa.

In the original English sentence you do not mention "affetto", but if you want to add it it's ok with me.
    Another thing that strikes me as not especially affectionate is the " Every once in a while"- if one wrote that to me I would be a little disappointed.
    That said, I'd write: ") Ti penso spesso con affetto. Purtroppo è da molto che non ti sento e mi mancano le tue lettere. Spero che lì vada tutto bene".

Best.

GS

7. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Blackman, I think Vespa has received letters from her uncle in the past, otherwise she wouldn't have said "I miss receiving........". I could be wrong of course. Vespa, could you clarify that? :)

P.S. I agree that 'every once in a while' sounds a little strange here, Giorgio. :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  8. Blackman

Blackman Senior Member

Italiano/Sardo
    I definitely agree with both of you, CC and GS, but I didn't want to change too much Vespa's original. She has a stickler uncle who may suspect not everything is sweat of her brow...:)

9. Vespa2 Member

U.S.A English
    Hello,

Yes your assumption is correct, Charles. My uncle used to write regularly to me. Unfortunately, I have not received a letter in a long time.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. They are very helpful.