every one like it's straight off a postcard

Discussion in 'English Only' started by AliBadass, Jan 26, 2014.

1. AliBadass

AliBadass Senior Member

IRAN
    persian
    Here's a part from an English learning book named TOUCHSTONE 3. Someone has taken a trip to an island and is talking about the place on her blog.

Sentence: . . . and there are these amazing little towns nestled in the mountains-every one like it's straight off a postcard.

Would you please rephrase ''every one like it's straight off a postcard''? I don't get it at all. I've even searched for the meaning of ''straight off'' and got it as ''immediately'', which doesn't help.

2. Sabretooth

Sabretooth Senior Member

Buffalo, NY, USA
    American English
    Postcards generally feature beautiful, picturesque scenes from the locations from which they originate. Here, the reference means that the little towns are beautiful and picturesque.

3. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    The pictures come straight from a postcard picture. It's not "straight off" as a phrase" - it means they come "immediately" or "directly" from the picture on the postcard - with no manipulation being done to them.

Straight is an adverb here, from the dictionary
    A more common example of this use is "straight from the presses" (from a paramountpromotions/wordpress site)

4. AliBadass

AliBadass Senior Member

IRAN
    persian
    Thank you. Still some parts aren't clear though. See how I'd rephrase now. ''each one of the pictures (every one) like it's directly (straight) from (off) a postcard.''

What does ''like'' mean here? And I haven't got it completely that what you mean by ''they come directly from the picture on the postcard''

5. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Like here means "as if"

Have you ever seen a picture postcard with mountains on it? These real-life mountains look just like those on the postcard...

6. AliBadass

AliBadass Senior Member

IRAN
    persian
    Thank you. Please see if I got it right. She is on an island (somewhere very beautiful with amazing mountains). So now, because she has seen some postcards from this place before and now that she is seeing them in reality, she is comparing them with each other and saying that they look like the same as one anther?

7. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    "to be straight off a postcard" makes sense to me.

It's like the images are so surreal, you'd think they were postcards.

8. AliBadass

AliBadass Senior Member

IRAN
    persian
    Thank you I got it. Just one more question: Is ''straight off'' an individual term meaning ''immediately'' or no it's the verb ''straight'' meaning ''immediately'' and the preposition ''off'' meaning ''from''?

9. kalamazoo Senior Member

US, English
    Every town is so picturesque that it loo9ks like an image that was taken directly from a postcard.

10. AliBadass

AliBadass Senior Member

IRAN
    persian
    Thanks. Take a photo ''from'' OR ''of''? Is there any difference? And how about my question in post #8 please?

11. kalamazoo Senior Member

US, English
    I would translate straight in this context as meaning 'directly.' This really doesn't mean a photo that someone took of a postcard. It doesn't mean literally that you took the picture off the postcard, it just means that the villages are so perfect that they look just like the pictures on a postcard. So "of" would imply that you had taken a photograph of a postcard. "From" is the idea that you somehow were able to take the image off the postcard, which you can't literally do.

12. AliBadass

AliBadass Senior Member

IRAN
    persian
    Thank you all. Clear for now I guess. I appreciate it.

13. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    Not necessarily a postcard from this place - just a postcard with mountains on it.