every second a woman [50% quota]

< Previous | Next >

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi

(Do quotas work? Some best cases:
Sweden. Most political parties practice ‘every second a woman’, that is 50% voluntary party quotas for candidate lists. 47.3 % women in parl. No 2 in the world.

What does the red part mean?

Thanks

• Copyright

American English
    Sounds like "every other person a woman" (every second person is a woman) -- meaning (nearly) half the parliament are women... rather than every tenth or twentieth person (being) a woman.

A "quota" based on this principle would suggest that it's the goal of political parties to nominate an equal number of men and women.

mplsray

Hi

(Do quotas work? Some best cases:
    Sweden. Most political parties practice ‘every second a woman’, that is 50% voluntary party quotas for candidate lists. 47.3 % women in parl. No 2 in the world.

What does the red part mean?

Thanks
    It means, in this case, "the political parties have as a goal that every second candidate chosen by the party should be a woman." It's another way of saying "Fifty percent of the candidates should be women."

Camlearner

Khmer
    To tell you honest, I thought firstly that it's a rule that political party must choose 1 woman every second or every minute ;) but I also wonder this cannot become possible case! Thank you all.

Copyright

American English
    That would be my life you're talking about: every minute another woman.

"Every second a woman" means every other person a woman simply because it's been agreed that that's what it means. If there weren't that understanding, I can see why you might wonder about fast women -- which is a charming interpretation. But on a practical level, not even I could handle a woman every second.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Hi Copyright thank you for confirm clarification but I don't understand many ideas in your writing like That would be my life what do you mean clearly? by charming interpretation you mean it's correct or incorrect interpretation ? and I also don't understand this writing mode not even I could handle a woman every second. Sorry if my more questions are not in topic.

Copyright

American English
    Let me rephrase: "Every second a woman" means every other person a woman simply because it's been agreed that that's what it means. If there weren't that understanding, I can see where you would find it confusing. I'll PM you for the rest.

< Previous | Next >