Every step must be carefully thought through.

< Previous | Next >

philanguy

MotherEarth;Chinese
Hi,

--I am confused about the different meanings between "thought over and thought through" in the following. Are they interchangeable? Many thanks to you in advance.

--Safety is very important when it comes to tree climbing. Every step must be carefully thought through.

• Avignonais

USA
    USA, Anglophone
    I've thought it over = I have rethought about it.
    Think it through = consider the parts, the consequences, the next steps, the sequences, in other words, think about it in great depth and detail.

philanguy

MotherEarth;Chinese
    I've thought it over = I have rethought about it.
    Think it through = consider the parts, the consequences, the next steps, the sequences, in other words, think about it in great depth and detail.
    Many thanks to you Avignonais.

There are subtle nuances if we consider them in great depth and detail. But roughly speaking they are about the same, right?

Avignonais

USA
    USA, Anglophone
    Very "roughly" speaking, yes.

Think about it. Think it over. Think it through. All different nuances of "Considering something"

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Although there is some overlap, there are very distinct differences, as Avignonais set out in post #2.
    To think over a decision is to review and reconsider the issues and come to a conclusion - possibly different from the conclusion that seemed likely before you thought it over.
    To think through something is, as stated earlier, a process of detailed mental examination including in particular the outworkings of something and its broader implications.

I don't think the differences are subtle, or matters of detail.
    They cannot be interchanged without significant change of meaning.

< Previous | Next >