everybody vs. everyone

Fujibei

Japanese
How do you differentiate between "everybody" and "everyone"?
Many dictionaries I consulted say: Everybody is more casual and more often used in conversations. But is this true in everyday usage? In movies, people seem to use them interchangeably. Please clear up my confusion.

• Judica

AE (US), Spanish (LatAm)
    They are basically the same so I think it depends on personal preference. However, "everybody" does seem more casual.

Everybody (every person)
    Everyone (every individual)

If I were hosting an event, I would say something such as, "Would everyone please take your seats".

If I were hosting a gathering of friends in my home, I would say something such as, "Everybody have a seat".

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hello Fujibei - welcome to WordReference :)

One of the very special features of WordReference is that if you look up a word or phrase in the Dictionary and thread title search, you will see a list of all the existing threads that include the search term in the thread title.
    Click on everybody everyone
    The list that includes:
    what's the difference between everyone and everybody?
    everyone or everybody
    Everyone/Everybody ...
    everybody vs. everyone

It seems that everyone, or indeed everybody, agrees with Judica and entangledbank - they are the same.

The last entry is this thread :)

Harry Batt

USA English
    One of the common mistakes is to think that one or the other is plural while the other is singular. Both are treated as singular in order to achieve subject/verb agreement. Everyone took his place at the table. Everybody waited for the host to sit before taking his own seat.

< Previous | Next >