Everyday millions of people pour into the streets

supermarioutd

Persian
Hello to all,

I want to describe life in a huge bustling city. I want to say everyday millions pour into the streets to make a living and realize their dreams. Does this sentence work? :

Everyday, millions of people wake up and pour into the streets in search of their pot of gold.

If this doesn't work, would you please tell me how I should express the idea?

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    My only suggestion would be to put a space in "Every day".
    "Everyday" is an adjective.

supermarioutd

Persian
    When I say millions of people pour into streets I want to focus on the traffic aspect of life.

Everyday, millions of people wake up and pour into the streets in search of their pot of gold. Hence the crazy bumper to bumper traffic in the city.

Is there anything better than pour into streets I can use?

Last edited:

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    When I say millions of people pour into streets I want to focus on the traffic aspect of life.

Everyday, millions of people wake up and pour into the streets in search of their pot of gold.

Is there anything better than pour into streets I can use?
    While we do say that people "pour into the sreets" (to demonstrate, for instance), we don't mean "traffic". Unless we specify "pedestrian traffic", which is an expression, "traffic" refers to circulation of vehicles in the streets (people walk on "sidewalks" or in the UK "pavement(s)".

supermarioutd

Persian
    While we do say that people "pour into the sreets" (to demonstrate, for instance), we don't mean "traffic". Unless we specify "pedestrian traffic", which is an expression, "traffic" refers to circulation of vehicles in the streets (people walk on "sidewalks" or in the UK "pavement(s)".
    Can't I say people pour into the streets with their cars?

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Note that, as Cenzontle said in #2, we write "every day as two words.

Unfortunately, we're not allowed to rewrite whole sentences in Englsh Only (although this may be possible in other forums).

supermarioutd

Persian
    Note that, as Cenzontle said in #2, we write "every day as two words.

Unfortunately, we're not allowed to rewrite whole sentences in Englsh Only (although this may be possible in other forums).
    Thanks. I don't want you to write a whole sentence. Just an alternative for "pour into".

Every day, millions of people wake up and pour into the streets in search of their pot of gold. Hence the crazy bumper to bumper traffic in the city.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I'm not sure how people's pouring into the streets (= onto the sidewalks) could contribute to bumper-to-bumper (vehicular) traffic in the city streets; it and pedestrian traffic are regulated by traffic lights. But "pour into" the streets could work, I suppose.

supermarioutd

Persian
    I'm not sure how people's pouring into the streets (= onto the sidewalks) could contribute to bumper-to-bumper (vehicular) traffic in the city streets; it and pedestrian traffic are regulated by traffic lights. But "pour into" the streets could work, I suppose.
    I know pour into does not work. What can I use instead of it that would mean millions of people take their cars into the streets?

< Previous | Next >