Everyone has a photographic memory...

SonicChao

United States
Everyone has a photographic memory, just some don't have any film.

How would you translate that into Russian?

• Maroseika

Russian
    Фотографическая память есть у каждого, но не у каждого есть, что сфотографировать.
    Thta's if I've got your frase correctly, i.e. "photografic memory allows us to remember a film we have seen, but some people have no film to see" - that's what was meant?

Crescent

Russian, (Ukraine)
    Everyone has a photographic memory, just some don't have any film.

How would you translate that into Russian?
    Hhm...well, I must say this is a tough one. This expression made me laugh the first time a friend told it to me, and I have tried to use it ever since, to impress the people with my errm.. ''witfullness'', however I have never gone as far as translating into my mother tongue. Let's see what I can do for you. :)

У всех есть фотографическая память, просто у некотрых закончилась плёнка.

Well, the only bit that I struggle with is the one I've underlined. The problem is that I don't know the technical name for ''photographic memory'' and I'm not even sure if it exists. :confused: (other than the one which I've given you, which is just a direct translation).
    Let's wait to see what the other natives suggest. :)

Crescent

Russian, (Ukraine)
    Фотографическая память есть у каждого, но не у каждого есть, что сфотографировать.
    Thta's if I've got your frase correctly, i.e. "photografic memory allows us to remember a film we have seen, but some people have no film to see" - that's what was meant?
    Ah, no, no, Maroseika.. I'm afraid this one caught you out a little bit. :)

In this instance: film = плёнка, not ''фильм или кино" as you would normally expect. :)

< Previous | Next >