Everyone has their own story!

Maria Chen

Chinese
:p:phey, everyone! just now I saw such a sentence on the Internet "Everyone has their own story."
for me, I will construct this sentence like this: Everyone has his own story.
so I am not sure whether the sentence "Everyone has their own story." is also OK. Would you like to do me a favor?😘😘😘

• Roundhouse

Bengali
    "their" is fine. "Everyone" is not a male person, or a female person, "everyone" includes both male and female. And that is why we use the gender neutral pronoun "their". I personally think using "his" is very unusual. May be if you are talking to a prison guard in an all-men's prison, then someone could say that.

Maria Chen

Chinese
    "their" is fine. "Everyone" is not a male person, or a female person, "everyone" includes both male and female. And that is why we use the gender neutral pronoun "their". I personally think using "his" is very unusual. May be if you are talking to a prison guard in an all-men's prison, then someone could say that.
    many thanks😃😃

bennymix

Until recent years, I don't think 'his' (meaning both sexes) was at all unusual in this or many contexts. "Their" is now required by serious speakers in the present time period. (Except for all-male schools, etc.) Or, 'his or her'.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >